New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Chyme's? Chymes'? or Chymes's?
Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: August 12, 2005 09:17PM

On page 80 of the UK edition, half-way chapter 7, the possessive form of Chymes appears both as Chyme's and as Chymes'. Elsewhere in the book it says Chymes's which I thought was the correct (or preferred) form.
Is there a joke here? Is it a simple typo, or has a spellchecker run beserk? Or do the forms on page 80 carry a different meaning that I fail to grasp? I would be grateful if someone could explain.

Delacuesta.

*---

Re: Chyme's? Chymes'? or Chymes's?
Posted by: IHazon303 (---.range86-135.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 13, 2005 12:37AM

It's funny, it could so easily be just a simple type-setting error but we're thinking long and hard about it because just maybe there's a very subtle reference there...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2005 08:28PM

Cle'arly: it?s gramm,asit!es.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.welsh-ofce.gov.uk)
Date: September 02, 2005 04:07PM

Ahrm! *stands up from desk to take the mike*

UK English grammar would have it as Chymes' in the possessive form, but American English as Chymes's

My mate & I are the founders of Apostrophy Anoraks Anonymous (AAA). Membership doubled recently when I agreed to join her...

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: September 02, 2005 04:23PM

Is it intentionally apostrophy not apostrophe?
Or is this why you're all anonymous?

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: September 07, 2005 06:10PM

This yvidyncy of apostrophy-moving grammasitys is a catastrophy of unimaginably proportions! Think what a tragyde it would by if such an yxcyllynt book wyry dystroeyd be thosy pyske cryaturys so soon aftyr bying publishyd! Incidyntalle, a warning to all Jurisfiction agynts out thyry: a nyw tepy of grammasity has byyn discovyryd, so plyasy watch your styp and alyrt thy rylyvynt authoritiys if you syy ane signs of infystation.

Posted by: MartinBentley (---.is.co.za)
Date: September 09, 2005 08:53PM

?waht a#e th@ cii'trea ()r stoptnig gmarrmatise iefcoitnN

?esod etelpeske unotc

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 12:27AM

~~UK English grammar would have it as Chymes' in the possessive form, but American English as Chymes's~~

Are you sure about that? I'm American, and although for the most part my spelling and grammar are UK English (please don't ask how that happened) I do know that the correct American English form would be Chymes' unless Chyme was the name, in which case it'd be Chyme's, the only exception being if the possessive were a plural possessive (if the entire Chyme family owned something) in which case it would be Chymes'. (Good, now that that's clear.)

Apostrophes: One rule of grammar that should be repealed.

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: July 30, 2006 08:37AM

Actually in UK English, given that the name has an s on the end, it could be Chymes' or Chymes's - either's fine. It's just a proof reader/copy editor who missed that small point. Ain't a proof reader born who gets it right all the time.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.