New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Tom Thumb
Posted by: Haylo (---.range86-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 10:24AM

Ever since reading BOE it's been annoying me, I can't remember the words to it. Can anyone help? I know it starts off with a 'stole a pig and away he ran', but can't get much further than that..

Re: Tom Thumb
Posted by: tieff (---.246.190.30.tisdip.tiscali.de)
Date: September 23, 2005 02:29PM

Tom Tom the piper's son
stole a pig and away did run
Tom got beat,
the pig got eat,
and Tom went crying down the street.

Posted by: Haylo (---.range86-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 23, 2005 07:37PM

Ta very much!

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: September 23, 2005 09:31PM

Tom Tom is not Tom Thumb. The second is the tiny boy from the Grimm brothers fairy tale, which is born after the poor peasants wife wishes for a child:

"Yes, replied the wife, and sighed, "even if we had only one, and it were quite small, and only as big as a thumb, I should be quite satisfied, and we would still love it with all our hearts."

Posted by: robert (---.mit.csu.edu.au)
Date: September 26, 2005 01:38AM

And why does it open with the double barrelled 'Tom Tom' when he is simply called 'Tom' thereafter? Is his surname Thomas perhaps? By traditional formation his father would then be Thomas (the) Piper and Tom would be Thomas (son of) Thomas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.