New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lola
Posted by: Branfish (---.cable.ubr07.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 26, 2005 11:56AM

I know it's implied that Lola Vavoom is 'played by' Lola from WOLP, but don't you think she's a bit old? I always got the impression that Lola from WOLP was meant to be in her twenties, and I thought Generics didn't age unless the plot required it...

"We are born alone, and we die alone. In between, how about a drink?"
~ Mr. Nutty

Re: Lola
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 26, 2005 03:24PM

I agree. If you think about it, it is even stranger. The Lola from WOLP was a 'chick flic' character with not much more brain than needed to go shoping. (I know, if I said that about a real person, it would be nothing less than demeaning, but, well, she IS fictional) And she gets to play the famous actor Lola Vavoom, who played the leading part in "My Sister Used to Keep Geese"?

...click...

Oh, just looked it up! Lola Vavooms career began when she was discovered behind the cosmetics counter of Littlewoods in 1969, and her first role was in the pilot episode of "65 Walrus street". So it's simply a particlularly long backstory.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 12:13AM

~~and I thought Generics didn't age unless the plot required it...~~

Then, the idea given in WOLP is that though generics don't usually do more than they are designated to do, it isn't necessarily impossible. (Thinking of the secretary and the tea table.) Kind'a like people; some people are born into a set of circumstances that make achievement seem impossible, but when one puts their mind to it, nothing can stop them.

Post Edited (10-29-05 01:14)

Posted by: tieff (---.246.140.169.tisdip.tiscali.de)
Date: October 30, 2005 09:42AM

Lola has obviously been upgraded from Class C generic to Class B or higher- she plays a greater role in the story and so she can also "age" to fit the new role.

Posted by: Branfish (---.cable.ubr07.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:57PM

I suppose the book has (presumably) been sat in the WOLP for twenty years, going through rewrite after rewrite, so it's quite possible she was rewritten to be older during that time. Or maybe she got bit parts in a couple of other books in the interim.

"We are born alone, and we die alone. In between, how about a drink?"
~ Mr. Nutty

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 09, 2005 07:53AM

Why do I get a mental image of Betty Boop no matter how Lola is described?

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 15, 2006 12:31AM

Bear in mind, though, that Randolph is also in the book, as Lord Spongg. And he's certainly more, well (in the interest of preventing spoilers) different than he was in The Well of Lost Plots.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (---.cable.ubr04.king.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 20, 2006 10:45PM

It also seems to be implied that Caversham Heights as set aside from the standard rules of the Bookworld, so perhaps Lola (as formerly Obb/ Ibb) decided "I feel like having a backstory, and I wouldn't mind being a bit older". And so it was, and the plot just bent to accomodate this.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 21, 2006 06:46PM

Or she bought a backstory from that store in the Well, and she's just using makeup to look older…

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 09:16PM

Lola was at the top of her class at St. Tabularasa's, and the prof said Randolph could amount to much more as well if he put his mind to it. Obviously, they both did well.

Generics don't age, but characters in books do if they age in the course of their plots (or backstories). Also, generics may not necessarily come out of school at exactly the age they are going to be in their books: do you remember Miss. Havisham telling Thurs that she had originally aspired to play young Estella?

Another possiblity is that Lola left the well to spend time in the Outland - "Lola Vavoom" does have quite a solid career there - before returning to the Nursery Crime series. The only problem is that I think JFf mentioned at some point that fictional characters don't age in the Outland. It would make for an interesting casuality loop, though: Lola (Ibb) in WoLP imprinted on Outland Lola, which made her the character she became, who she later imprinted on, etc. ...

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: August 22, 2006 06:24AM

I always thought when they talked about Lola Vavoom in The Big Over Easy they meant the actual actor that the generic Thursday was living with aspired to be like, thats what I gathered anyway..maybe I just got it wrong who knows.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Posted by: Puck (---.landmark.edu)
Date: February 19, 2007 05:06AM

She's definitely Ibb: BOE is the book Caversham Heights developed into.

My idea that Lola/Ibb managed a stint in the Outland where she made a name for herself as an actress (and thus managed to inspire her own character development...) is mere speculation, not canon.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.