New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Jelly Man
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.clspco.adelphia.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 03:16PM

Hi! Can someone please tell me what nursery tale has the jelly man in it?
I am in Colorado in the US and we can not find him anywhere. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Re: The Jelly Man
Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 13, 2005 10:08AM

Hi cranniegrannie

Use the 'search' button, type in 'jellyman' and you'll then know everything that we know....

****SPOILER ALERT******

.... which is basically very little.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 01:06AM

We think that the Jellyman is a British (or Welsh) version of the Muffin Man.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.greateryellowstone.org)
Date: January 18, 2006 04:29PM

In The Big Overy Easy special features, Fforde says that the Jellyman is NOT a nursery rhyme character, that he made him up.

Posted by: Zuki-pah (210.84.46.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 06:58AM

I was pondering this last night (after Kitten said she'd lasso a Jellyman for me - see Nextian chat)...

I guess the reason we don't see many Jellymen today is that they are cursed with deliciousness, which makes it almost impossible for them to develop from Jellybabies through infancy, childhood, and adolescence into adulthood, as they are perpetually being consumed.

'Who looks after the animals?'

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 15, 2006 12:24AM

I kind of thought he sounded a LOT like Santa Clause. And it is true that Santa's belly shakes like a "bowl full of jelly", so there's a clear connection! Santa's long-lost brother, maybe?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 08:25PM

I did a google search, and discovered that besides "Jellyman" being an Oxfordshire family name it is the name of a relatively new animation company. The head of that firm "The Jellyman" would certainly be treated by the nursery characters as Fforde describes. The question is, which came first, the chicken (the animation company) or the egg (this book)??

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 12, 2006 12:24PM

Good question, this one.

"The head of that firm "The Jellyman" would certainly be treated by the nursery characters as Fforde describes."

- what would you mean by that?

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 02, 2006 07:52PM

I thought "Jellyman" sounded like it could have been a distant variation on "Bellman" - both figures of some authority. The Bellman is from Carroll, but I agree that the Jellyman, whoever he is, was created by Fforde.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.