New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Title?????
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: June 11, 2006 05:09PM

Hi!
I am a student of English and have to do an oral exam next week. I could chose the topic of this test myself and as a big fan of Jasper Fforde's novels, I chose "The Big Over Easy".

Although I never enjoyed preparing a test this much (-; I am currently having a tiny little problem. Since I am not a native speaker of English, I don't reaaly get the meaning of the title! Could anybody help me out? What does The Big Over Easy actually mean? Any references to nurseries maybe?
Answers would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Till

Re: Title?????
Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 11, 2006 07:58PM

The Big Easy is a slang name for the city of New Orleans, and "over easy" is a way of cooking eggs.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: June 11, 2006 07:59PM

"Over Easy" is a method to fry an egg. You can find out about it from our friendly host himself.

You could also look up Jaspers own explanation of the title in the Special Features Section on [www.nurserycrime.co.uk]. But don't ask us about the password...

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: June 12, 2006 02:13AM

Welcome to the fforum, by the way! After you've gotten that test over with, why don't you come on over to the Nextian Chat section, which is quite a bit busier and full of friendly people?

Posted by: Anonymous User (134.102.198.---)
Date: June 12, 2006 05:57PM

Thank you very much! I had a great laugh and your messages helped me not only to understand the title but also to add a new variety of an already well known recipe to my cooking (-; Quite welcome side-effect for a student.

Cheers
Till

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.