New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Big Over Easy :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding the new Jack Spratt investigation 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
I've a theory about this book
Posted by: IHazon303 (---.gotadsl.co.uk)
Date: July 06, 2007 12:52PM

I don't know if this has come up previously or if Jasper has said anything in the past - I know I wanted to ask him during a talk in Ipswich last year but chickened out cos it was live on radio...

It occurred to me that, since this story is set within what was previously Caversham Heights, and features Ibb and Obb and the various Oral Trad characters on their character exchange breaks, was the Thursday Next series simply an elaborate premise to get this book published?

As I understand, this was the first of Jasper's novels to be written so it would seem plausible that it was also the one he was most keen on getting published. And so from this desire grew the TN series. Not, as Jasper has said, a love story about Spike and Cindy, but a stage-setting for the haven book of Caversham Heights, which has clearly been successfully saved from demolition.

Thoughts?

Re: I've a theory about this book
Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 01:34PM

I asked Jasper about this at one of the Fourth Bear signings. Well, not about the whole TN series, but about WoLP in particular. He replied that WoLP was intentionally written to provide a tie in to the NC books.

Date: July 06, 2007 03:31PM

That is good news indeed, many thanks for your intrepid detectiving.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 06, 2007 03:33PM

What's fun is that there is circular self-reference going on. WOLP mentions this book (and by extension, the series), and The Fourth Bear mentions Thursday Next (in movie form).

Date: July 06, 2007 04:14PM

Plus the new book (I really believe this is giving absolutely nothing away) refers to an incident in The Big Over Easy which in turn takes place in one of the previous books (forget exaclty which, but presumably WOLP).

wiki
Posted by: mr puniverse (---.104.69.90.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 24, 2007 09:22AM

Hi. On this theory there is some updated info on your observations about the book on wikipedia type in jasper fforde and read on. there are references to the history of the books right there

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.