New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Fourth Bear :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding The Fourth Bear - WARNING: SPOILERZONE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Finished
Posted by: Anonymous User (213.232.79.---)
Date: July 07, 2006 09:16AM

Just finished 'The Fourth Bear' on the bus into work this morning.

Superb.

That's it.

Re: Finished
Posted by: Anonymous User (202.139.27.---)
Date: July 10, 2006 07:05AM

I've been hunting around various bookstores in Sydney and keep getting told I'll have to wait until August for it to come in.

Darn.

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 03:40PM

I've ordered mine from the local independent and will be picking up on Saturday - that's my Sunday taken care of.

Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:01AM

I was all excited thinking that I'd have a copy this week and could settle down and read it, but like Penguin I've been told that it wont be released here in Australia until the 10th of August!!! I'm not sure if I can wait that long...

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.139.27.---)
Date: July 11, 2006 08:43AM

Hi Zuki-pah. Most places are just giving me a vague "August" response.

Angus and Robertson have August 10th on their website but I've been told August 1st by Borders. Unless I get a better date, Borders have won my business!

Maybe next time I'll smarten up and pre-order from Amazon UK. Even with the delivery lag, I reckon it'd be quicker.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 10:47PM

Yay! My order from Amazon UK arrived today, earlier than the earliest estimate date they gave me! So now the big question is whether I should dive right in or finish my re-reading of the rest of the books first. I'm currently in the middle of Something Rotten.

Posted by: pip (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 12:19AM

Just dive straight in.

It's a week since I finished it. Am thinking about rereading BOE before plunging into a reread of the Fourth Bear though.

Also, totally off topic, but I just read Rebecca and love it... *sighs*. Anyone got any recommendations - I'm going to be all studenty and study Eng Lit next year, yet am pathetically poorly read.

When shall we three meet again...

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 13, 2006 05:21PM

Luthien, how long did it take yours to arrive after you ordered it? I'm contemplating ordering it myself, although it's only 11 days till it comes out here. Also, are you in the US?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dslaccess.co.uk)
Date: July 13, 2006 08:50PM

I too have recently read Rebecca, thanks to Mr Fforde's influence! I suggest reading 'The Time Traveller's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger - it's fantastic!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.frx.com)
Date: July 13, 2006 10:55PM

Managed to find a copy of the US version and read it voraciously... great book ;-)

Post Edited (07-14-06 00:23)

Posted by: pip (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 14, 2006 01:25AM

Love Time Traveler - have a very long, slightly weepy chat every time I sell a copy to someone in the bookshop. I have to say that in my advanced (AEA - an exam that is better than Alevels but you take as a bonus) english exam I got an extract from the first chapter of Rebecca. I'd actually read that chapter before and been bored by it, but I liked it as an extract to analyse, so decided to read the novel. So glad I did. Love it. Absolutely love it.

Was able to fit in lots of little things gleaned from Jasper in the exam though,like an overly casual mention of "Rebecca's unnamed heroine"... heehee.

When shall we three meet again...

Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 06, 2006 03:45AM

Yay - I finished The Fourth Bear last night. Absolutely loved it!

Posted by: PrincessP (---.dhcp.gldl.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 24, 2006 08:00AM

Finished it. Hooray for me. But now I'm bummed that it's over. It will be a whole year before there is another book.

My teen son has started Big Over Easy and is looking forward to the Fourth Bear. I hope he'll read it soon so that we can discuss some of it.
-----------

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. --- Edgar Allan Poe

Posted by: robert (58.165.209.---)
Date: August 24, 2006 03:24PM

Hi PrincessP.
Would it be possible for you to summarise some of the things your son thought about BOE here on the fforum? It would be interesting to get the views of a younger reader.

Posted by: PrincessP (---.dhcp.gldl.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 26, 2006 12:44AM

Sure, Robert, but be prepared for a bit of a wait. He's not a speedy reader.
--------

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. --- Edgar Allan Poe

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2006 04:55AM

I had to wait to come back from my family reunion on Bali to get the book. I sure zipping through the rest of the books though. The whole series is great!

(Houstonian) Amy

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 06:56AM

I LOVED IT!!!

What with my holidays in Australia and all (*small bragging* ;)) I never managed to start reading it the minute it arrived on the post.

But now it's done, and it was great (as always :)).
In a way, I think I liked it even more than The Big Over Easy, but maybe it was because I was having a rebelious "this is not Thursday" moment while I was reading TBOE...
I'll re-read it soon :)

I think I must have missed many things, not being english and not very familiar with most nursery characters, but I still laughed out loud at many things (Dorian Gray? obvious :D)
By the way, do the names of the original 5 cucumberists mean anything special?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2006 08:33AM by ScarletBea.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: September 06, 2006 04:50PM

I think answers to that should be given in an extra thread for SPOILERS.

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2006 05:07PM by PrinzHilde.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.