New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Fourth Bear :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding The Fourth Bear - WARNING: SPOILERZONE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Quangle Wangle Quee
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 31, 2006 11:09PM

Why do we think that, in chapter 35, the original words of the Quangle Wangle's Hat have been changed? Or do I have a 'PC' version?

Gareth

Re: Quangle Wangle Quee
Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 06, 2006 03:58AM

I've just looked up lots of copies of the original Edward Lear poem to find what the difference was.

The three verses that were included were the ones that were relevant to the plot of The Fourth Bear and the others were probably left out to reduce length.

The only other difference I can find is that the Beaver hat has been changed to an eaver hat. Maybe Jasper has an aversion to animal hats, or wearing fur, or maybe he really likes beavers - but it could be that it's just a typo.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.boisestate.edu)
Date: August 08, 2006 10:44PM

In the US edition, it says Beaver hat

Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 09, 2006 06:25AM

I have the UK edition, with the eaver hat. If it's right in the US edition then it's likely to be a typo, which is a little disappointing because I was enjoying the animal rights angle...

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.139.27.---)
Date: September 13, 2006 12:33AM

I went to an appearance yesterday and Jasper added the B to the poem in my book.

Posted by: PrincessP (---.dhcp.gldl.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 03:56PM

That's quite charming. He's personally rescued your book.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 05:33PM

To save Mr. Fforde a huge amount of work why does he not just change his original manuscript?

OOPS! edited to add the word "WORK" so that the above makes some form of sense. Sorry for not proof reading!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 02:48PM by SkidMarks.

Posted by: ween (---.grapevine.net.au)
Date: October 01, 2006 11:21AM

Here I was thinking I had learned of something new, being an obviously robust hat making material called eaver. I am slightly disappointed.

Posted by: Barnadine (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: October 02, 2006 04:30PM

Even if it was supposed to be 'eaver', you ought to be careful with Lear, it might very well be a made up word.

On a related note: in the summer of 2004, I saw a fantastic new show in St Davids (Cymru) based on Lear's Poems. Fantastic original play, marvellous use of his poems.

<< insert hilariously witty quote here >>

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 02, 2006 05:49PM

I just try to imagine a make-up artist trying to follow Lear's description of the Dong with a Luminous Nose: "of vast proportions and painted red, and tied with cords to the back of his head...with holes all round to send the light..."

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Posted by: Barnadine (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: October 03, 2006 02:10PM

Yes, that was quite the sight.

<< insert hilariously witty quote here >>

Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2008 02:02AM

I have to confess to something. I had never, ever heard of Edward Lear or the Quangle Wangle Quee before reading TFB, and when I came upon the name of the Quangle-Wangle, I felt that Jasper was starting to get sloppy in coming up with wacky names for the characters, because this one had no charm at all. (Later did I found out that this book was written before Thursday) Then I read the poem in the book, and I thought that it was something Jasper had made up as a homage or imitation to surrealist prose like Jabberwocky. All of it became much more amusing when I actually found out about the Lear poem, and that Jasper is no less clever than I've always thought him.

Something else I want to point out is that in America the character of the Red Legged Scissor-Man is completely unheard of. I think this is interesting because the "Happy Families" thing was removed whereas the Scissor-Man wasn't, but this time I assumed it was just some kind of nursery bogeyman that my parents just never personally threatened me with. In fact, I've been reading up on the subject and the British really do have a rich pantheon of mythic characters devised to frighten children... here, we have one generic all-purpose Bogeyman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2008 02:03AM by Planet Cool.

Posted by: elrunethe2nd (---.lns1.wel.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 06, 2010 04:55PM

"I want to point out is that in America the character of the Red Legged Scissor-Man is completely unheard of. I think this is interesting because the "Happy Families" thing was removed whereas the Scissor-Man wasn't, but this time I assumed it was just some kind of nursery bogeyman that my parents just never personally threatened me with. In fact, I've been reading up on the subject and the British really do have a rich pantheon of mythic characters devised to frighten children... here, we have one generic all-purpose Bogeyman."

Nor here, in Australia, but I just assumed it was a thing, you know, which made sense to some. Fforde is like that to me. Best taken with a teaspoon of acceptance that weird crap can and will happen. The best kind of author, in retrospect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.