New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Fourth Bear :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding The Fourth Bear - WARNING: SPOILERZONE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
An Homage to Crytponomicon?
Posted by: Jane Winchester (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2006 01:12AM

Is it possible that Jasper has included an homage to Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon by introducing Admiral Robert Shaftoe on page 89 of The Fourth Bear....or is that just an interesting coincidence?

J

Re: An Homage to Crytponomicon?
Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 05, 2006 04:04AM

Jasper generally doesn't reference anything that recent due to copyright regulations.

A little googling revealed this nursery rhyme, which I admit I've never heard of. (It's possible Neal Stephenson was referencing the same source.)

As an interesting (well, to me, anyway) aside, there was a Robert Shaftoe in Michigan Wisconsin (oops!) who named his printing press Silver Buckle.

Welcome, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2006 04:06AM by Nicky.

Re: An Homage to Crytponomicon?
Posted by: robcraine (83.218.26.---)
Date: September 06, 2006 09:34PM

Hmm... its funny how you assume some things are universal knowledge. I was certainly aware of that rhyme (although I'd have said 'Bonny Bobby Shaftoe' not 'Pretty Bobby...') and I'd be willing to bet that both the authors were thinking of it when they named their charachters.

Rob, humming

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.