New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Fourth Bear :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding The Fourth Bear - WARNING: SPOILERZONE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Book overall-SPOILERS!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ras01.ord01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 01:13AM

Aaand, once again I am in love with Jack.

He's a PDR! Poor guy! I understand Madeleine's confusion though.

This book was great, you could really feel for him when he was all mixed up and kept running into Briggs-shaped walls during his case. And Agatha.....oy.

I loved how everything came together at the end. Stuff you hadn't even noticed at the beginning came into play and helped them. Like the Allegro. At the beginning I just found it funny that it was Dorian Gray and the whole nature of the sale. But it ended up killing Demetrios, how perfect??!

Just interested in your thoughts on the book. And I know some people responded to my 'crush on Jack' thread for "The Big Over Easy", are you still attracted to him? Moreso in this book?

Re: Book overall-SPOILERS!
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 02:16AM

Actually, I'm more attracted to Ashley than Jack.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wdgdst68.dupage.k12.il.us)
Date: November 29, 2006 09:28PM

Haha!! Yeah, I like Ashley too, I think him and Mary will be very happy together. But I like Jack more.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 01:06AM

What about Arnold? He's pretty persistent--I think Mary ought to give him another chance. And then I can have Ashley.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.an6.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 01:26AM

LOL! Something is telling me she should give him a second chance. If he keeps going after her after all of this rejection, he's pretty resilient!

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: December 10, 2006 07:03AM

ok I have to admit I am madly in love with Ashley but how can I ever stop loving Jack? He's amazing. Is it kind of weird that I thought the gingerbread man was kind of suave? I mean I know hes a killer and all but still, take that away he would have a very entertaining personality.

Posted by: sofa (---.wfd89a.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 11, 2006 06:48AM

I'd fight Ashley and Arnold for the hand of sweet Mary. Unfortunalty I ain't got a spce ship so I think Ashley may have an advantage. Still sunrise in North Wales is pretty special

Oh my God! He's not Welsh is he?

You're about as punk as Enya!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wdgdst68.dupage.k12.il.us)
Date: December 11, 2006 09:21PM

literaryloser: Alas, I must say that I was not attracted to the gingerbreadman in the least because he tried to pluck off my dear Jack's limbs. Siiigh, how I love Jack. =P

Date: December 13, 2006 12:34AM

I know that put knots on my stomach but take away that part and his general personality was priceless! Ok so I hate to say this do you guys see Jack as a typical detective, you know beige trench coat, dress pants, loafers, dress shirt with tie, fedora? all that get up. I hate to say it but I do.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2006 05:38AM

nah, Jack has an intuition that outplays any "normal" detective. Hes almost superhuman (no pun intended). I also like Ashley. Hes just so spontaneous, and the memory through the skin thing always gets me.

Date: December 19, 2006 12:39AM

Well fine I'm fighting a lost cause, but I will agree Jack and Ashley are priceless.

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: March 06, 2007 10:45PM

For what it's worth, I do see Jack in a sort of 1930s get-up.

I think that I've met a Mary Mary though. Or at least a close relation.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.indy.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2007 07:06AM

If you noticed, Mary's landing attempt left Ashley without a space ship also. Go for it.

What if Dorian Gray is selling space ships now, where the phasor and photon torpedo damage is repaired but the 3D model takes the beating? Captain Kirk and the Star Wars guys could use that. It would be OK until the odometer rewound to 0 light years. Then it would crash into the nearest quantum singularity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.