New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Fourth Bear :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding The Fourth Bear - WARNING: SPOILERZONE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Jack Spratt in Well of Lost Plots?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 08:01PM

I dont know if anyone has noticed this, but in The Well of Lost Plost, Jack made an appearence in one of the unfinished books that Thursday worked in. She was filling in for Mary because she was away for some reason. I believe this was to reference about Fforde's then upcoming book, The Big Over Easy. Please post if you noticed this as well.

Re: Jack Spratt in Well of Lost Plots?
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 12:28AM

Yep, you're exactly right. Jasper actually wrote The Big Over Easy first (although it was called just Nursery Crimes then) and couldn't get it published. He subsequently wrote the Thursday Next books and decided to include his unpublished book in TWOLP as the unfinished novel Caversham Heights. That's why, of course, the nursery rhyme characters all move into Caversham Heights at the end and the title gets changed to Nursery Crimes.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! If you come over to the Nextian Chat section, things are a lot more lively, and if you introduce yourself you may be offered pie.

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: December 13, 2006 12:31AM

I love that they did that, I connects the two series. Who knows maybe Jasper will bring Thursday in, or Jack into Thursday's world. That would be sweet.

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 04:15AM

The question is, did you notice the Thursday Next appearance in TBOE?

Date: December 13, 2006 04:23AM

No...Where?

Date: December 13, 2006 05:09AM

really? where did she appear?

Posted by: PrincessP (---.dhcp.gldl.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2006 06:28AM

the car.

Date: December 15, 2006 05:19AM

lol, which car and on wat page?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 15, 2006 06:50PM

It's at the end of one of the chapters. Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but my uncle borrowed my copy at Thanksgiving. But what I didn't notice until I re-read TEA was that when Thursday and Bowden go through the patch of bad time, the first time (no pun intended) they pop out it's right in front of an Austin Allegro, and Thursday says she swerves to avoid it and sounds her horn angrily. I started giggling when I read that.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 08:00PM

Hmmm…and you say the same incident happens in TBOE (from Jack's or Mary's perspective)? Will have to go and look.

Date: December 19, 2006 12:38AM

please do because my copy is on loan as well.

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 11:05PM

Apparently ([www.jasperfforde.com]) its on p161, at the end of chapter 18:

"She [Mary] pulled into the main road a little too quickly; a small sports car with the top downand a distinctive paint scheme appeared behind them and drove past at great speed, horn blaring."

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.