New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Fourth Bear :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding The Fourth Bear - WARNING: SPOILERZONE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What does 111110000 mean?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2006 05:26AM

the title pretty much says it all. This is teh title of the non existant 13th chapter of TFB. Post if you know wat it means.

Re: What does 111110000 mean?
Posted by: MuseSusan (69.111.16.---)
Date: December 15, 2006 10:52AM

There's been some discussion about binary and the use of ASCII encoding of English letters into binary in a different thread, but in this case, there is no letter or set of letters that it represents. I suppose the number itself is 496 (if I've done my math correctly) but that's probably not significant. Jasper always includes a reference to a 13th chapter in his table of contents, which doesn't actually exist, and I suspect in this case he just wanted the title to be something in binary as a reference to Ashley.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 15, 2006 04:40PM

It is an international character set symbol - ø - which I think is used in some Scandanavian languages.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: December 15, 2006 07:31PM

Hmmm...what encoding do you mean?

Actually, I think you are wrong on two counts. First, you left out the last zero. There are actually nine bits there.
So, second, if it was a code for a letter, it would have to be two complete bytes, i. e. 2×8 bits, like this:
00000001 11110000

As the first byte is no character but a control code, this cannot be meant to be two letters. Instead, this is the sort of encoding that is used for Unicode, and the letter would be a small j with a caron. Unfortunately, I can see no way to represent that letter here, as the Phorum software does seem to use (8-bit) ISO 8859-1 encoding only.

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 08:30AM

Sorry Claus, you are correct.

I just truncated it, assuming a mis-type so used 11111000

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.