New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
mistakes in the text
Posted by: Julia (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: July 19, 2009 02:32PM

Hello everybody,

First I apologise for coming english mistakes, I can't really write proper english.

I'm puzzled about what I found in the translation of the book I read, and I have to ask if it also appears in the original version (or any other translation) : several times in the text ( I saw it 3 times but it may be more) there are letters or numbers (and even a word) missing or appearing without any justification, as if the person who translated the text did forget them.
This kind of mistakes is quite common in magazines where the editing with softwares like InDesign or Quark Xpress require a lot of "shortway" through the key board (like ctrl+C or crtrl+v), and in any other book, I would just think the translation is poor.
But in this book and after the second mistake i found, I started to doubt and try to look for a coming explanation to this phaenomenon : a mark of Felix8 messing around, a new mystery to be solved in the next book, or just an over exploited translater struggling to finish on time?

Re: mistakes in the text
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 19, 2009 06:09PM

Hi Julia, welcome.

I am afraid that I can't help with the problem you mention - but if you tell us which translation you are using, I am sure that there will be someone out there who can help.

(Pies are available now in Nextian chat. There may also be cake and drinks, but I only look after the pies so cannot guarantee the other stuff.)

Posted by: Julia (---.131.68-86.rev.gaoland.net)
Date: July 20, 2009 05:54PM

I'm using the french translation, the paperback book.

I noticed an 8 in the chapter 6 (I think), on page 88 of my version, and also one on the far end of the book, where Thursday call the cat "cesh" while she just called him "Chesh" a few lines before, what about this missing H? (and why is the cat back from Cheschire?).
There is also one word missing in the book, but I can't remember where.
I wouldn't bother so much if it wasn't for this book, but I can't figure out if it is on purpose and will be explained in the next book, or if they're just actual mistakes, so that's why I'd like to know if someone reading another version of this book has noticed it as well.

Thanks...

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.40.197.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: July 21, 2009 07:51AM

I would guess that "Cesh" is a misprint. Chesh is an abbreviation for Cheshire.

The Cheshire Cat is a character from the book "Alice in Wonderland".

Cheshire is an English county, but a large part of what was Cheshire is now in the Unitary Authority of Warrington.

I hope this helps, but perhaps someone else can help with the "8"s

Posted by: tieff (---.t.pppool.de)
Date: July 21, 2009 07:59PM

Translations are always a problem - I found numerous mistakes in the German translation of Eyre Affair.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.