New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Those in the states...Check your bookstores now!!!
Posted by: RookeeAlding (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 04:23PM

I went to my local Books a million, and the first among sequels (which I've preordered from Walmart and wouldn't be her till the 24th was there! Needless to say I bought it.

(I haven't read it yet, but I flipped though and didn't see any footnotes...of course I might not have see them but I'll have to go though it to be sure)

I gotta go cancel my preorder.

*************************4044845****************

by the way...I've been convicted of Gramatical Homicide, and charged 18 years to life, so don't bother telling me about all the spelling mistakes. It's already on my record.

Re: Those in the states...Check your bookstores now!!!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 10:41PM

I just checked my local bookstore and it is NOT out! So you are lucky!

Posted by: RookeeAlding (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 04:58AM

And now I am done reading....yes there is room for a sequel or too. (or as many as Mr.Fforde would like to make at this point....)

Edit:
OH and my copy does actually have the footnotes. in case anyone is wonder.

*************************4044845****************

by the way...I've been convicted of Gramatical Homicide, and charged 18 years to life, so don't bother telling me about all the spelling mistakes. It's already on my record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 04:59AM by RookeeAlding.

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 07:12PM

Books-A-Million tends to pre-release them. At least, they did with SR.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 09, 2007 07:33PM

I went to my local small bookstore, and they said not only do they not have it, but that it's illegal for them to release it ahead of time. So I suspect most stores are going to be careful and wait. I'm not even going to bother checking a big store like Barnes and Noble.

Posted by: RookeeAlding (68.208.65.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 10:48PM

Well, it's suppose to be illegal, but aparently Books a million doesn't care. (honestly though, I think releaseing a book early only really gets noticed if it's insanely popular like harry potter,)

Posted by: pedsphleb (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 02:38PM

Or they didn't notice that the shipping crate says "On Sale date 7/24/07". I'm a bookseller and I can't buy my copy until Tuesday even though we've received the books in the store.

Posted by: Ffran (156.63.195.---)
Date: July 20, 2007 02:52PM

Hee...maybe you're working in my bookstore...the one that said, "oh, yes, it's in the back, but we can't sell it until next week!" I can be patient...I hear there's a new Harry Potter coming out...that should keep me busy for a day or two.

If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would
ever get done.

— Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted by: pedsphleb (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 21, 2007 09:58PM

Oh, yes, Harry - I wonder if Fforde has some cryptic HP reference in TN5 now that the series has moved forward about 15 years (which would put about 4 HP books into print).

Ffran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hee...maybe you're working in my bookstore...the
> one that said, "oh, yes, it's in the back, but we
> can't sell it until next week!" I can be
> patient...I hear there's a new Harry Potter coming
> out...that should keep me busy for a day or two.

Date: July 21, 2007 11:42PM

Er…it's possible I may have gotten my copy at midnight and then stayed up till 5:30 reading, and then woken up at noon and finished the book at 4.

But to be fair, I did that for FAS, too!

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: July 22, 2007 10:37AM

Very vague spoiler of a small joke:

"I wonder if Fforde has some cryptic HP reference in TN5 now that the series has moved forward about 15 years (which would put about 4 HP books into print)."

Ahem. Yes. Cryptic. Ahem.

Posted by: pedsphleb (129.255.165.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 08:32PM

Excellent......(rubs hands Mr. Burns style)

LeonardQuirm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very vague spoiler of a small joke:
>
> "I wonder if Fforde has some cryptic HP reference
> in TN5 now that the series has moved forward about
> 15 years (which would put about 4 HP books into
> print)."
>
> Ahem. Yes. Cryptic. Ahem.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.doe.gov)
Date: July 24, 2007 11:34PM

Has anyone compared the US and UK versions of previous volumes to see if any of the language is changed for American readers? Seems a lot of publishers just don't think we can handle British colloquialisms in the raw. I've ordered the last couple of HP books from Amazon UK for that reason, just to be safe, and don't know if I should pay the extra shipping to get the TN books from the UK too. (Though I suppose I can afforde it.)

Thx.

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: July 25, 2007 06:22PM

I have not compared the versions but I also have wondered ever since Philosopher became Sorcerer. You know how philosophy scares us dumb Americans.

I can imagine Scholastic taking that step w/ HP but I don't think Jasper is quite big enough and plus his books are not written with pre-teens in mind so I think we are safe.

Although I did notice Bollocks changed into Ballocks, for some reason. Maybe it was a typo? Does Ballocks even mean anything??

Date: July 25, 2007 09:46PM

I didn't compare, but I did check to see that the footnotes are there (which they are).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.DOE.GOV)
Date: July 26, 2007 06:17PM

> Although I did notice Bollocks changed into Ballocks, for some reason.

Ballock specifically refers to a bull's testes, but I don't think it has the British slang connotations -- likely either a typo or an overzealous American copy-editor running spell-check.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.DOE.GOV)
Date: July 26, 2007 06:31PM

> I can imagine Scholastic taking that step w/ HP but I don't think Jasper is quite
> big enough and plus his books are not written with pre-teens in mind so I think
> we are safe.

I first came across the issue with another humorous Brit SF writer at a book-signing I stumbled across when I was in London some years ago -- it might've been Robert Rankin. At the time he told me he couldn't get his books published in the US because the publishers felt that they needed too much rewording for American readers, and he was clearly a small-market, non-youth writer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.