New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
giving 'em a good knee-kicking!
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: June 12, 2008 01:57AM

Thursday's 'cover' is running a carpet shop. This means installing the damn things, something I am currently trying to do myself to save a bit of money. Has anyone else done this and, more importantly, does anyone realise just how much effort is involved?! I'm not surprised she can do all that Jane Bond stuff in Jurisfiction - the poor girl must have biceps like tree trunks! And going on a mission with Spike to save the world from every demon from Hell, must be a Sunday school picnic compared to installing the average 3 bed semi with acrylic/wool mix and underlay. Don't even get me on the subject of tackless strips - and incidentally, why are they called tackless when they're lined with razor sharp teeth - hundreds of them?
There's this handy little gadget you can't do the job without, apparently, called a knee kicker. I looked it up on the internet hoping for some info on how to use the thing (i.e.if I had an alternative in the closet I could botch the job with) and all I found was fifty thousand occupational health articles on knee injuries. Hardly surprising, seeing as the thing's about three feet long and must weigh half a ton. You kneel down and ram it with your patella, apparently, until the carpet's stretched enough. First thing I thought when I saw it was, Hm, not for me, think I'll go back to the bare boards and @#$%& rugs idea; it'd make a handy weapon, though.
Seam rollers hurt. Oh yes.
I can only surmise, therefore, that Jasper either owns a bare boards and rugged-up property, or pays someone like Thursday to install the lot whilst he and the family go fishing. Otherwise, he'd have spent a lot more time finding fiendishly clever uses for carpet laying tools, when faced with murderous members of the criminal fraternity, and a lot less on describing the layout of the shop and Thursday's hand guns.

Re: giving 'em a good knee-kicking!
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: June 21, 2008 03:49AM

I'd stick with the bare boards! Saves the knees and at least you can wash rugs (well most of them!).
I pulled up a carpet a few years ago and it was a truly disgusting piece of polymer rubbish, mangy, smelly, musty, dirt ingrained, and probably a nazi as well. Best thing I ever did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.