New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
ffantastic! (spoilers)
Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: July 25, 2007 07:02PM

i was somewhat surprised by the so-so remarks people have made about this book here...

i bought and finished it yesterday and thought it was ffabulous; in fact the best TN book yet!

the dealings of multiple Thursdays, the Austen Rover, the idea of a reality book, and most of all the expanded knowledge of the bookworld all worked toward this from my perspective. i love the concept of the 80% nothing, the little islands of books, and the dark reading matter; the ideas still locked up in writer's minds... also the difference that poetry makes, the ethics seminar; it all wound up making a story that, admittedly, leaves some unresolved issues, but makes me eagerly await the Next book!

does anyone else share my opinion that this is the best book yet?

Re: ffantastic! (spoilers)
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 25, 2007 09:46PM

I'd say it's certainly on a par with the other four (I liked Something Rotten especially). It's a little unusual to have your heroine fifty-something, especially when you're used to her being in her late 30's, but then Jasper likes shaking things up like that, and I like him all the more for it.

Posted by: Ffran (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 28, 2007 03:43AM

Well, I loved it! It just gets nuttier and nuttier, and I hope he writes all of the titles he listed! (And I loved that Thursday is 52..so am I, Hee!). I'm sure I missed at least half of the references; guess I'll just be reading it again.

If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would
ever get done.

— Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 28, 2007 06:51PM

According to the special features (and what he said at the signing), the next Next title will probably be One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing. However, he implied at the signing that the next book he writes may not even be a Thursday Next or Nursery Crime book.

Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 07:10AM

i really, REALLY hope he uses Paragraph Lost at least eventually; that is just too spectacular to pass up...

Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2008 01:47AM

The worst thing about First Among Sequels is that YOU didn't write it.

...then again, the same is true for most of Jasper's stuff. If not all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.