New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Giant plothole
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 03, 2007 09:40PM

I'm only about 3/4 of the way through the book, but something is bugging me. How can Thursday1-4 show up at Jurisfiction if she's the first person character of her books? She shouldn't be able to leave the narrative since it's always with her.

Re: Giant plothole
Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 04, 2007 01:12AM

three possible answers.
1. they weren't written first person.
2. hey were written first person but there is a generic understudy in her place.
3. outland readership is so low, no-one notices.

(edited for spelling, twice)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2007 06:29AM by annie.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: August 04, 2007 05:23AM

They were definitely first person, hence why they continue to keep it first person when Thursday5 takes over. I'd go with a combination of 2 and 3, plus the excuse of "literature works in mysterious ways".

Come to think of it, are there any Jurisfiction agents who are first-person or major characters in popular books? I'm sure there are, but without the books on hand I can't think of them. The only one I can think of is Black Beauty, not a Jurisfiction agent of course, but a CoG senator who presumably has to spend a lot of time out of his book.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2007 12:29AM

i think towards the end, they said someone was standing in for Thursday 1-4.

Posted by: Mrs Next (---.bradford.gov.uk)
Date: August 10, 2007 08:57AM

Yeah, about halfway through the book Thursday goes into the Eyre Affair and meets the generic understudy (Annie 200430C or something) as well as mentioning her towards the end.

Posted by: 24601 (---.myob.com.au)
Date: May 01, 2008 01:04AM

Why wasn't an understudy available for Jane when she was kidnapped out of her own book?
Doesn't seem right to me.

Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: June 01, 2008 02:05AM

it is somewhat of an error, but one rational could be that since Jane is an A1 character, there weren't any generics close to an acceptable level at the time... and maybe there was fear that a severely-undertrained generic would cause far more harm than good... just a thought.

-------------
almost always around on the (un)official Ffordian IRC (chat) channel, #tnext on esper.net . one can go here [www.esper.net] and after it is done loading, type /join #tnext and you should be there!

Posted by: Maira (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 08, 2009 02:31AM

Alice. It was Alice3-something.

With Jane- Perhaps it was that the read-rates were higher, so it would be noticed.
I would bring up my own complaint of "Why didn't they put up another version?" but I have an answer for myself- "It was the original document."

Posted by: Animal_lover (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: June 15, 2009 09:18AM

SLIGHTCAP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i think towards the end, they said someone was
> standing in for Thursday 1-4.

That is exactly correct. When Thursday goes into "The Eyre Affair" to murder Thursday 1-4, she finds a character understudy called Alice-PON-24330.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.46.234.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2009 01:49PM

welcome Animal_lover. help yourself to refreshments in Nextian Chat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.