New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Interpretation of Episilon
Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: July 05, 2007 10:33PM

Would "Episilon" be a typo for "Epsilon", or a wordplay so brilliant that we in the outland do not grasp it? (chapter 21, page 183 UK-edition).

Delacuesta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2007 10:33PM by delacuesta.

Re: Interpretation of Episilon
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: July 06, 2007 12:01PM

Isn't that a bit like asking why the plural of Snurg is written with two 'g'?

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: July 09, 2007 05:35PM

I think it isn't. Contrary to Episilon, Epsilon is an existing word, and moreover it is a kind of word that may be used as a name for stellar objects (cf Alpha Centauri).

My question is not what the meaning is or where the wordplay comes, but rather whether it is intentional or not.

Delacuesta.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 14, 2007 06:26AM

Well, eventually Jasper will have a full FAS upgrade section put together, so we'll see.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 11:58AM

I've been reading it as Epi-SI-lon. It wold make sense to have used Epsilon instead, but since Zhark was a made up creature, i figured that planet could be made up too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.