New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Problematic!!! ***SPOLIERS-Do Not Read if Not Read yet!!!!!****
Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 09:41PM

especially since Aornis had already hinted that she expected a jailbreak with outside help

Didn't Aornis say that Thursday would help her to escape? And that's exactly what happened.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.popl.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 01:10AM

I believe Aornis said merely she was going to get out with the help of "someone on the outside" - which after time travel stops, the ChronoGuard shut down and the enloopment prisoners are moved into maximum security prisons, Thursday realises means her. Although Landen does tell Thursday earlier on that "whatever happens, even if you forget everything, don't let Aornis out".

I imagine we'll certainly be seeing a lot more of Aornis within at least this quartet, if not the next book. Whether anyone'll be after her to get help in inventing time travel remains to be seen, since Jasper says he shut down the ChronoGuard in this book since he's bored of the Time Travel thing. So this would be a nice out for him if he changes his mind (although whether setting up this logic was deliberate or not is questionable...) but I wouldn't bet on it being used.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 13, 2007 08:00PM

LeonardQuirm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Whether anyone'll be after her to get help in inventing time travel remains to be seen, since Jasper says he shut down the ChronoGuard in this book since he's bored of the Time Travel thing. So this would be a nice out for him if he changes his mind (although whether setting up this logic was deliberate or not is questionable...) but I wouldn't bet on it being used.

The time travel has been one of my favourite parts of the series. I hope it is brought back.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: March 30, 2008 06:05AM

Among the theories of what it is that 'time' is is the concept that it is all laid out and we pass along it. This eliminates the notion of freewill as everything that is/has/can happens has already happened. In this scenario the past is fixed as much as the future and if at some point it was arranged that the past became non operative in some fashion, ie, time travel was no longer possible, then the future and the past would still remain the same.

If you used some other theory of time, say, in which time is essentially the front of the wave of possibilities becoming actalities, ie, the past, then this does not rule out an action whereby all future time travel was impossible.

But it would leave past actions untouched. Unfortunately this leads to such convoluted worldlines that I don't think I will ever be able to unravel it, although if you take each individual's worldline from their conception to their death you end up with world lines passing through 'the present'. As the present is not set these world lines would become just another factor in determining the probability of any event. If so, then the fact that time travel had occurred in the past would not be prevented.

I'm off for chocolate now. that was too much intellectual effort.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.