New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
White Noise
Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range86-140.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 27, 2007 05:34PM

This is pretty obscure and hardly worth mentioning, but if I don't mention it then someone else probably will further downstream, so... here goes.

On Page 148 (of my UK 1st edition), Landen is talking to Thursday about Friday's band. They are alleged to have been working on a single called 'Static' from the album 'White Noise'

I'm certain Jasper made that title up on the spot without a second thought for life imitating art, but it so happens that there is actually an album called 'White Noise' - and although 'Static' isn't one of the tracks,single or otherwise, static certainly makes an appearance in a very big way.

White Noise were an experimental electronic band formed in London in 1969 by David Vorhaus, a classical bass player with a background in both physics and electronic engineering, and BBC Radiophonic Workshop composer, the late Delia Derbyshire. Although obviously, she wasn't late at the time. Well, I mean she may have been late for the recording sessions - but she was very much alive, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that.

Oh - and for those of you who feel cheated by my not having mentioned a genuine typo, on Page 63 Thursday5 is referred to as Thursday (which had me blinking at the page in a puzzled sort of way for a moment, as it takes place when Thursday is talking about her)

"'Gosh,' said Thursday after I'd explained it to her, 'I don't carry any weapons at all'

'I'd so love not to have to,' I told her..."

Re: White Noise
Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: September 08, 2007 06:33PM

in response to your second point, i think that is somewhat reasonable, and possibly not an intentional typo.

i mean, thursday5's actual name isn't thursday5, it's thursday. and if you share the same name as someone, even if others call you something different to distinguish you, you would still call the other person their real name.

(sorry, that was confusing; here's an example)

lets say my name is John, and my best friend is named John also. in a setting where we are together (work, school, etc.), people might call us by our names, and last initials; i would be John L, and my friend would be John F. however, i would still call my friend John, as i don't have anyone else to differentiate from him.

anyway, that was a bit long for a not very important point, but whatever.

Re: White Noise
Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: September 10, 2007 01:23AM

About 15 years ago I was teaching in a school and there were two girls in the same year who had exactly the same names, including middle names. One had arrived in year 7 (in 1991) and the other had enrolled later, in year 9 in 1993.

For their entire school careers which followed, the two girls were called - I've changed the names, obviously - as Jane Cook91 and Jane Cook93. They were written this way in all official documents and got used to signing their own names with the numbers after them. However, when speaking to either of them, the number was unimportant and I only ever addressed them as "Jane" (or, in the case of one of them only, 'Cookie'); the context of a conversation did not demand any further identifier.

Constant repetition has funny effects and one of these is that a name becomes part of identity (or vice versa) and I - in a short space of time - never visualised these girls - for official purposes (roles, marks, etc) without their numbers; and when identifying themselves for such purposes, they rattled off, or wrote, the number after their name automatically and unselfconciously.

Whether this merging of name with identity carried over into other contexts (family, out of school friends, etc) I strongly doubt: where the context does not provide a need, it would have been intrusive and puzzling. Jane93 did tell me once though, that her father had taken up '93' as a nickname for her - which she disliked just as much as all of his other nicknames for her. I met her in the street a few years ago and, presuming me to be in my dotage (as all ex-students are wont to presume of their teachers within 12 months of graduation), hailed me cheerily with, "You remember me don't you? I'm Cookie93!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.