New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
NOT the end of Chronoguard?
Posted by: Jazz_Sue (212.85.12.---)
Date: September 27, 2007 04:47PM

At Jasper's Reading book signing, he said he was going to give up on the time travel theme in the books, which was a shame as I've often thought the Chronoguard would make an excellent spin-off series. Time Tavel is quantum - which means anything you write about it can and will come true, surely?! No problems for the writer there then. Any loopholes that appear - blame it on quantum. Besides, I don't believe the Colonel is the sort to hang up his watch and retire, however much Jasper might want him to. So, even though that may seem to be the case at the end of the book, I harbour secret hopes that JF may - with the Bookworld's help - have second thoughts re retiring Colonel Next.

Interesting also that, when I logged on to the 'What's New' page on this site and discovered Spec-ops have got their own section, one of the five departments NOT disbanded is... the Chronoguard! Question, does this entry on the Spec-ops page predate the latest book? If not, it raises interesting questions about the future, doncha think?

Re: NOT the end of Chronoguard?
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: September 27, 2007 07:27PM

I do suspect the SpecOps page is meant to predate FAS, since he wouldn't want to give anything away if people hadn't read it yet. It is quite fun to have time travel stories of course, but I'm sure Jasper will continue to come up with new ideas to fill the void.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: September 28, 2007 08:34AM

Arguably, if he did want another one, there's nothing to stop someone sneaking into HG Wells and nicking a time machine.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: March 30, 2008 06:08AM

Read Asimov's 'The End of Eternity'.

While it has a mission in its plot it still raises the ideas of what could come.

it also raises the issue of free will even if you can manipulate time.

i think Harry Harrison's "The Technicolo(u)r Time Machine' is better.

Posted by: Sangus (---.9.15.vie.surfer.at)
Date: January 26, 2009 08:01PM

I don't believe in the end of time travel because (even if it could be explained by the universal time-travel-excuse of being a paradoxon) that would mean that Granny Next didn't exist in the first books and that all life on earth didn't involve parts of Thursdays father and dream topping, which I think would be unforgivable.

...mirabile dictu...
-Vergil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.