New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

First Among Sequels :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about the latest Thursday Next book - TN5 - WARNING - SPOILERS POSSIBLE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Book cover style changed
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 01, 2008 04:18PM

Can anyone tell me why the style of the Thursday Next book covers has changed with 'First Among Sequels' (the paperback version anyway). I love the old covers so much. Do any copies of the paperback book exist with the cover like the hardback copies?

Re: Book cover style changed
Posted by: Planet Cool (---.elp.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2008 01:42AM

Here in America, we have one cover for both hardback and paperback, the one featuring an open book with an explosion coming from it, the letters and type flying in all directions. "Thursday Next in First Among Sequels: a novel" is written in swirly calligraphy right on top, against a gray background. I personally like the American versions of the covers more... I guess the UK versions are more in tune with what Jasper wanted but the Eyre Affair and First Among Sequels American covers seem very poetic. I don't like our choice with the Nursery Crime series, though. It makes the stories look @#$%&.

----

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. -Mel Brooks

Posted by: Estelyn (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 16, 2008 09:09AM

I love the British paperback cover that my first four TN books have - the battered look is such fun! When I ordered them, my bookstore told me that they had gotten a notice from the central warehouse that the books showed signs of damage, which amused me very much. I too was disappointed that the fifth had a completely different style of cover; though I think I've seen a cover like the first four somewhere online, I don't suppose I would buy a new book just to get it...

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 21, 2008 01:15AM

I miss the old bright coloured covers, Bright pink, purple and blue. My collection no longer matches.. *sniff*

Posted by: chris.ph (---.41.220.148.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: September 28, 2008 03:56PM

you should go to the pratchett sites theyve got people on there that will buy another copy of the book if the typeface is different.i now you shouldnt judge a book by its cover but the old covers that first attracted me to the jasper books

measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 06, 2008 04:35AM

the copy i got is the old battered style like the other ones a paperback with the frayed edges et al I have seen a white copy version too. In Oz the first two cme out in paper back Eyre Affair in pink with Dodo on scooter and the Lost in a good book in purple with a mammoth on a scooter ...even JFF is looking for those.
I have seen Sequel in the tattered version in both paper back and hard back here in Australia. I the Well of Lost Plot Oz version is a auqa color and has a unicorn driving a speed racer car I wannna know when is the new one coming out.

A Kit Kat is a Biscuit

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.253-193-5.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: January 24, 2009 12:19AM

I have the first three books in the original cover style, dodo/pink, mammoth/purple and unicorn/blue. Couldn't Jasper reissue the later ones in that style?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: January 24, 2009 11:05AM

I think that this down to the publishers rather than the author. It is annoying, though.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.253-193-5.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: January 25, 2009 07:49AM

I know, "wishful thinking" as they say!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2009 12:05AM

I really like the new UK covers, better than the old ones (though they were cute) and MUCH better than the US covers. Even though I'm in the US I bought the UK version of First Among Sequels just for the cover.

Posted by: mR pSYcHo (---.Red-83-36-40.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 03:18PM

Oh, I thought they would keep the old covers style for the paperback.

Anyway, what's this then? [www.jasperfforde.com]

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.103.119.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: March 30, 2009 09:41AM

Hi mR pSYcHo.

I think it is a flying bus.

As you may know, if you have lurked for any length of time, most of the activity is over in Nextian Chat. If you say the magic word, someone will probably produce pies, pasties, cakes, sarnies and drinks.

Posted by: mR pSYcHo (---.Red-83-58-126.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 01:35PM

I know it is a flying bus. But the picture shows a paperback with the "traditional" cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 01:35PM by mR pSYcHo.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.103.119.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:31PM

Aren't the traditional covers this style?

I thought that the vehicles and "well-used" looking print was the latest design. Perhaps I've just missed the point. Never mind, just write me off as an old fool and come join the party.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: mR pSYcHo (---.Red-83-58-127.dynamicIP.rima-tde.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 10:22PM

SkidMarks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aren't the traditional covers this style?

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought the traditional covers were the ones with the vehicles. Anyway, apparently they have also stopped making the paperback covers in the "vehicles" style. Or, at least, It's impossible for me to find one (although they show it in this website). Can anyone tell me where I can buy one?

Posted by: elrunethe2nd (---.lns1.wel.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 06, 2010 04:51PM

Managed to snag FAS in the old cover (?) with Sherlock Holmes driving the Goliath Bus for $10 two weeks ago. Was very pleased. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.