New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Last Dragonslayer :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat about Jennifer Strange and the strange goings-on in the Ununited Kingdoms 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Song of the Quarkbeast
Posted by: Eoink (---.range86-186.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 18, 2011 01:54PM

I got the Kindle edition of this yesterday, I'm planning to start it over the weekend after I finish book 3 of 1Q84.
Anyone else started it yet? If so, look forward to sharing feelings about it.

Re: Song of the Quarkbeast
Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: November 18, 2011 02:54PM

Unfortunately mine is a Chrissy prezzie so I will be late to the party.

In the meantime I am reading "Life, Libert & the Pursuit of Sausage Rolls", "Heartless" and "Ginger Geezer". The latter is taking quite a while as I keep putting it down to start something else.

I am also rereading TN4, then will reread TN5 & 6 in preparation for "Dark Reading Matter" next Spring.

I got lost halfway through volume 1 of 1Q84. The alternating chapters sent me into a spin, but it intrigued me enough that I will return to it at some later time.

Posted by: Eoink (---.oxfd-bam-1.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 07:50PM

I've read and finished SoTQB now. I enjoyed it more than the first book in the series. To me, the world building feels a bit forced early on, and some of the explanation n the footnotes is defintely aimed at a young readership. About a third of the way through I felt it was dragging,then I suddenly got in sync with the writing and the plot, and zipped through the rest of the book without pausing.
I think I'll reread Dragonslayer soon, I can't remember much of it.

Posted by: bunyip (---.plain.net.au)
Date: February 22, 2012 03:28AM

I have just finished re reading Dragonslayer and while it is aimed at a 'juvenile' audience it should be made a 'reading out aloud' textbook as it flows well and is interesting enough to keep the reader involved.

How many books can you comfortably read out aloud in an orotorian type voice?

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: March 23, 2012 08:39AM

bunyip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> How many books can you comfortably read out aloud
> in an orotorian type voice?

I find that only one at a time is my maximum.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-168.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 05, 2012 07:40PM

Hmm.. You're obviously not a woman Skids.

I'm making a baby Quark beast for the FFiesta.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: April 07, 2012 10:35AM

yes OB, you are correct, I am not.

i usually have three books on the go at any given time but find that my eyes can only focus on one at a time making 1 the maximum that I can read out out aloud.

However I can multi-task, although not to the female level of complexity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.