New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

One of Our Thursdays is Missing :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Forum for chat regarding the sixth in the Thursday Next series 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Fiction Island geography
Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: February 27, 2011 06:52PM

The Fiction Island geographical map is not only printed in the front of TN6/OooTim but also on the website, so this topic is hardly a spoiler.

I was particularly enchanted by the name "the Dismal Woods". I suppose no existing wood in the AngloSaxon universe is called Dismal, but if anyone knows of such a place let him/her please speak up. Same when it is an existing expression and I'm missing something.
There is a book called The Beautiful Dismal Woods, but I don't see why Jasper might want to refer to that particular book.

I once lived near a woodland area in the Netherlands poetically called "de Onzalige Bossen", which could be translated as the Dismal Woods. Would other such names exist in the world?

Re: Fiction Island geography
Posted by: JohnLofgren (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2011 11:03PM

The Great Dismal Swamp is in southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. I visited it last September and found it very green and soggy. It's been heavily logged and drained. The remainder is National Wildlife Preserve or State Natural Area. Wikipedia has a nice article about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.