New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

One of Our Thursdays is Missing :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Forum for chat regarding the sixth in the Thursday Next series 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What did I miss? (DEFINITELY spoilage)
Posted by: TheMadBlonde (---.faegre.com)
Date: November 04, 2013 09:23PM

I've reread the first three TN books many times; _First Among Sequels_ once, & (having decided on a Nextian marathon) have just re-read OoOTIM for the first time; now pushing on to TWWDaL. The contiguous read-through confirmed one major bit of confusion I had with the transition between FAS & OoOTIM: What did I miss?

At the end of FAS, Thursday jumps out of a flaming airship & hits the ground running. This is in the RealWorld.

In the course of OoTIM, we learn that Thursday has been involved in yet another crash, this time in a CrossGenre Taxi in the BookWorld.

We're not SUPPOSED to believe that it's the same crash, right? It's just that time has passed & we never get to find out what happened after the first crash. Right? Or is this a US/UK thing & I've missed a chapter somewhere? Anyone have a good handle on HOW MUCH time passed between the two books?

I did search the Fforum for any mention of Taxis & Airships, & scanned all the msgs for this book, but if I missed an earlier discussion of this, my apologies. Thanks! -TheMadBlonde (first time poster)

Re: What did I miss? (DEFINITELY spoilage)
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginm.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 09:15AM

Hi TMB.

Welcome.

I don't think you missed anything. My take on it is that her job involved lots of danger. She survived the airshipcrash, did stuff and continued with her life.

The taxi crash is another example of dangers and mishaps in a different event later in her life.

I could be wrong (probably, usually am). If JFf is doing a book signing near you in the near future go along and ask him. He is very approachable.

So of the other fforumites may have a different take and may well be along soon to answer.

In the meantime, help yourself to virtual food and drink in Nextian Chat. watch out for Speckles. (S)he can be a nuisance begging for scraps.

Posted by: TheMadBlonde (---.faegre.com)
Date: November 05, 2013 06:47PM

SkidMarks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi TMB.
>
> Welcome.
>
Thanks! Been signed up for a while, just don't get here as often as I should.

> The taxi crash is another example of dangers and
> mishaps in a different event later in her life.

Guess I'm too used to bad continuity from Hollywood/US TV. I'm highly suspect of these things. & being OCD, I can't help but wonder what happened after the FIRST crash & how she got out of it. & still trying to figure out timing between those two books.
>
> If JFf is doing a book signing near you in the near future
> go along and ask him. He is very approachable.

Have had the great pleasure of attending 3 signings over the years & he's always been very kind & great fun to hear. Sadly missed the most recent last year (as I said, I don't get here often enough) but live in hope for a tour for the next book.
>
> In the meantime, help yourself to virtual food and
> drink in Nextian Chat. watch out for Speckles.
> (S)he can be a nuisance begging for scraps.

Thank you. I suppose I shall have to ask about pies at some point (sweet to the left & savoury to the right? What's a special pie?). & I don't mind Speckles begging for scraps, as long as s/he doesn't try to to steal my pudding.

TMB

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.10-3.cable.virginm.net)
Date: November 06, 2013 09:20AM

Yes, of course help yourself to pies.

The specials are only available for big events, if a particularly unusual combination been requested, or if i can't be bothered to categorise them in any other way. They are marked with an "S" to ensure that you do not confuse them.

To me suet puddings are just pies with posh pastry, other puddings fall into the desert category and need an extra "S" if you don't want them to be too sandy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.