New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Shades of Grey :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For threads regarding part one in this new series. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Flipback book?
Posted by: Popup (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2012 01:38PM

Apparently the Shades of Grey is available in 'flipback' format. Does anyone have any experience with this format?

I just ordered one, and I hope to receive it before I leave on holidays in a couple of weeks. It looks like it's just the right size to slip unobtrusively in a pocket.

It's been about a year since I last bought a paper book, but my kindle is on the blink, and I won't receive the new 'paperwhite' for another couple of weeks, so I figured I might as well give the format a chance.

Re: Flipback book?
Posted by: SkidMarks (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2012 02:55PM

It is certainly small, but not the easiest format to read.

Date: November 14, 2012 03:09PM

I received it the last week, but haven't taken the time to read it yet.

I ordered from the Goliath Corporation, and it's amazing how these huge multinationals work. Much cleaner and nicer than the cloying familiarity of Amazon and the like.

I received a new kindle (paperwhite) at the same time, and I must say that in may ways I actually prefer reading on that. But the flipback book appears to work just as advertised. Page turning is even faster than on the kindle, and the contrast is higher. The drawback is that there's no backlight, but at the same time the battery life is unbeatable.

I was a bit surprised at the font though. The font used here is Fedra sans, or something very similar to it:
http://www.identifont.com/samples/typotheque/FedraSans.gif.

I have to wonder if this was chosen specifically for the flipback, to give increased legibility at reduced size, or if someone (at Hodder?) decided that 'sci-fi' needs a futuristic font.

Date: November 19, 2012 10:25AM

Related question:

What's the typeface in the (normal-sized) print editions?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.