New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Shades of Grey :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For threads regarding part one in this new series. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Oranges?
Posted by: Zranoll (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2011 12:28AM

I loved this book, but either I completely missed something or the Oranges are not in it all. We all know that red and yellow (primaries) make orange. Are red and yellow forbidden to mate? Are they a clan that hides in the shadows? Why weren't they discussed?

Also on a side note what is the official standing in social society. I know greys are on bottoms, purples are on top and that the secondary are above primary. with yellow above red. Was the official order in the book and yet again I missed it or was it something we have to figure out? I think I know what it is but not completely sure. Also where does Orange lie on the list?

Re: Oranges?
Posted by: SkidMarks (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2011 11:09AM

Hi Zranoll, welcome.

My guess (and purely my guess!) is that there are too many colours for all to be given a social status and orange would be just part of the spectrum seen by some reds as a yellowy red and by some yellows as a reddish yellow.

If you have looked round here at all you will know that refreshments can be found in Nextian Chat. I think the tea trolley is by the treehouse. The pie table is somewhere near the panto auditions just now.(for anyone reading this at a later time it may not still be there.)

Posted by: delacuesta (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2011 08:37PM

It has been spculated that, whereas Oranges play an insignificant role in this area/time/plot/book, they may be the leading clan of some other.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2011 08:36PM

Jasper identified himself as orange: [strange-and-random-happenstance.blogspot.com] I am pretty sure I saw another interview where he confirmed this, but I can't find it any more.

You may want to look again at the chapter "Travel to East Carmine", where some Oranges are described. They alight at Persimmon-on-River. If you have solved the sleuthing competition and reevaluate which town this may be in the real world, you may come to your own conclusions...

Posted by: Martin Stockdale (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2011 09:17PM

PrinzHilde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> You may want to look again at the chapter "Travel
> to East Carmine", where some Oranges are
> described. They alight at Persimmon-on-River. If
> you have solved the sleuthing competition and
> reevaluate which town this may be in the real
> world, you may come to your own conclusions...

It's embarrassing to admit that although I did "Sleuth", and worked out the train journey (and even visited the various stops when I was on holiday there earlier this year) I've only just latched onto Persimmon-on-River - so obvious when you point it out!

I went there as well - it was a rainy day, and what better to do on a rainy day...? ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.