New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Not exactly a bloophole...
Posted by: anandamira (---.3.206.218.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 06:11PM

I just noticed this on my 2nd listen through the LiaGB audiobook read by Elizabeth Sastre (which is wonderful, by the way):

When Thursday and Miss H. are trapped temporarily in Goliath HQ, they escape via the washing label on Thursday's trousers because there is no other printed material in Thursday's cell.

However...

There is specific mention made of miscellaneous toiletries being present in the room. When I think of toiletries, things like toothpaste, shampoo, etc. come to mind. These types of articles almost always have a least SOME sort of text on them...and usually far more than a washing label :)

I'm willing to give Thursday a pass for overlooking this fact, as she was overwrought, and maybe Miss H. didn't see said toiletries during her brief time in the cell.

Anyway, just something that hit me this time throught the book. I love how little things like this pop up every time I come back to Jasper's books.

Re: Not exactly a bloophole...
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.95.35.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: April 06, 2009 02:29PM

Hi, Ana.

it could of course be that the toiletries consist of unbranded, unpackaged products, such as a bar of soap and perfumes. If they are all from Goliath, the house design is usually a single word - see the Goliath merchandising on this site - so the labels might not take them anywhere.

For what it is worth, I think you have found a blooper.

Most of the action takes place in the Nextian Chat section, so make yourself known there and helpyourself to pie.

Re: Not exactly a bloophole...
Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: May 07, 2009 04:35PM

You are overlooking the obvious: If they are all Goliath products, geting into their ingredient lists or adverts would not get you out of the Goliath building.

Additionally, imagine the world of cosmetics ingredient lists: a large tub of vaseline, mountains of soap and endless rows of flasks with fragrances and perfumes. Do you think you get through without being thoroughly doused and reeking of concentrated artificial violet scent for the next three weeks?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.