New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Footnoterphone
Posted by: crazy_june (---.look.ca)
Date: May 01, 2003 10:03PM

I was musing on this footnotherphone device: it is made for contact for book characters, right? So how did Snell managed to contact Thursday the first time around? She was not in the book at that time. Wait a sec...she IS a book character...my head spins. Medication gone...all gone.

Re: Footnoterphone
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2003 10:55PM

I contemplated that as well. But then I stopped, as it was giving me a headache and I just chalked it up to be another Jasperism that would be explained in WOLP.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 02, 2003 12:58AM

Sounds about right - just ignore it.

Try looking at it like this:

The footnoterphone, conceptually, is a radio for books. It connects vast distances in L-space through some unexplained mechanism. I have no idea how radio waves are turned into sound, but I accept that it happens. Furthermore, radio waves can be turned into digital impulses of electrical current (internet radio) or even light (if it goes through a fibre-optic cable). The message is simply turned from one carrier signal to another that can be understood by the recipient.

The mechanism I propose therefore is that Snell does indeed use the footnoterphone to carry his message to Thursday, but that this is then translated into some out-world signal (evidence suggests as a voice inside Thursday's head). This facility would be useful for Jurisfiction for various reasons - not least when operatives are acting outside of a book. Formatting convention in the chronicles of the Nextian world would place these messages as footnotes in the text, for clarity. It in no way suggests Thursday is fictional.

As a better comparison - you send instructions to your computer by hitting the keyboard (if running Microsoft, with your head) but mercifully it doesn't send messages to you by hitting you back.

does this stand up to scrutiny or am I mad?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2003 01:03AM

kinda reminds me of the episode of Gilligans Island where he was receiving radio signals thru his dental fillings

Posted by: crazy_june (---.look.ca)
Date: May 02, 2003 02:20AM

Yup, makes sense.

Just thinking about the keyboard stricking back...ugh (shivers)

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: May 02, 2003 02:52PM

Why should your suggestion about this matter standing up to scrutiny and you being mad be considered mutually exclusive?

"Some days I diet, other days they serve lasagne."

Date: May 02, 2003 06:05PM

Fair point...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2003 11:58PM

My Son's cordless keyboard fell off the desk and hit him on the foot.... does that count?

I hope to one day become a book character so I can have a Footnoterphone of my very owe :)

Auntie

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: May 13, 2003 02:25PM

Did he understand the message - if not, then it's definitely Microsoft trying to communicate...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wc.optusnet.com.au)
Date: May 24, 2003 11:51AM

all right smarty trousers~!
(;

Posted by: Andrea (81.152.255.---)
Date: May 27, 2003 12:10PM

I've just read the first time we see the footernoterphone used and noticed that Snell asks about Cordelia Flakk,

"Who was that disturbingly attractive woman in the tight pink sweater?"

I thought it only did sound not vision?

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Date: May 27, 2003 06:50PM

I think it only does text, rather than either sound or vision - and as Thursday's narrative mentions Flakk's attire, it seems reasonable to suggest that he could read it through that...

PSD

==========

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.