New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
a lesson learnt
Posted by: Anonymous User (203.30.40.---)
Date: October 12, 2004 04:53AM

here's a sad little story...

i was at one of my favourite book stores and there was a sale on.

i was very excited (i believe the possibility of bargains tends to make us all feel that way).....

wandering around, nothing really catching my eye, until i spotted it.... a mammoth on a scooter...

'what is this?' i thought to myself as i wandered over to the @#$%& than elcheapo stand...and there it was LIAGB for $AUD3.45....well, i didn't even finish reading the blurb...i purchased, dashed home, read like a mad thing...until i realised that there was in fact a 1st novel that i should have read 1st and that i was indeed on the 2nd novel, which if you catch my drift, should be read 2nd.

not knowing what to do, liking this '2nd' novel so much, i considered my options... i could
a) stop reading 2, go buy 1, read 1, then 2 & 3, or
b) finish reading 2, go buy 1, read 1 and try to pretend i hadn't read all of 2, or
c) read 2, purchase other two books, read 3 & then 1, just to be completely stupid.

well, due to LIAGB being so damn good, i couldn't put it down...so, i had no choice but to go with option b.

so, what i am trying to say, is two fold:
firstly, funny things like mammoths on scooters should not be allowed on covers, because they force readers to go head first into reading a book and not even considering whether they should check for a predecessor.

second, i should look before i leap

loved it though, can't wait to read the 1st one, to re-read the 2nd...ra ri ra....

xxx

Re: a lesson learnt
Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: October 17, 2004 07:11PM

And to add to your excitement mooey, there is now a book four. Have fun.

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: October 17, 2004 09:33PM

Well, yes, but on the upsde you now know about the books, have enjoyed one, will probably enjoy the others.
So where's the bad?
There isn't any!
Wecome to the Forum, cakes and things [only virtual, unfortunately] will probably soon appear.

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.30.40.---)
Date: December 21, 2004 01:49AM

there is no bad.

i am enjoying them all very much.

(i want a dodo)

plock!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:10AM

Well, see, you shouldn't be complaining about mammoths on scooters, mooey, because it's your own fault for not spotting the even more interesting dodo on scooter that graced the first book. My personal opinion is that they shouldn't allow ANY kind of extinct-slash-fantasy animal on ANY sort of personal transportation device to be displayed on book covers, as they cause me to do all sorts of horrible things such as make me stay up all night reading when I should be doing several hours of homework, stay up all night RE-reading when I should be preparing for a test, or stay up all night chatting on forums when I should be getting a good night's sleep so I can get up and go to work tomorrow…

Posted by: Haylo (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 01:37PM

I did the same thing mooey. Must confess I only first heard about the books when all the reviews for WOLP came out, decided I had to read them, walked into Waterstones and asked what the first one was, got given a book, bought it, went home and happily settled down to read it, only then realising that it was Lost in a Good Book, not TEA. I had the same problem. After the 2nd chapter I tried to put it down, I really did, but it was so bloody good I couldn't. Wouldn't have had it any other way now, recommend you all go and read the book agains, starting with LIAGB as the 1st book.

Post Edited (01-01-05 20:31)

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 08:14AM

There is so much random craziness in the TN series that reading the books out of order is just like a little more literary mood-lighting. (Oops, hope that doesn't sound too Ultraword!) Anyway, it all works just fine.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.