New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
at last, poor Yorick (revealed?)
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: February 23, 2003 01:48AM

Cudgell thy braines no more about it, for your dull asse wil
not mend his pace with beating...

I know there's a thread going already, but 1: Simon was interested in WHO Kaine was, not how Mr Ff came up with the name (which is a question that several people have addressed at various times, not least Jon, without a definitive answer turning up), 2: I had a crap pun I wanted as a thread title and 3: I'm so bloody proud of having worked this out at last.

Having googled everything I could think of (various combinations of 'yorick', 'yorrick', 'kaine' and modes of transport, languages, plays, authors, anagram engines etc) Idecided to stop and think. Basically we have only one real clue to go upon - 'yorick' spelt wrong, which alone should point to that bloke from Stratford. Furthermore, the best reference we have is "The Tragedie of Hamlet". Having established this as the best hope, I googled up a copy of the unformatted text, and search for 'hamlet text kaine' - and draw a blank. however, the one thing everyone knows about Mr S is that he was a weakish speller (and we all make his praise). So, I try 'Kain'. No luck. However, 'Caine' brings us bang on the money with the following sentence:

"That skull had a tongue in it, and could sing once, how the
knaue iowles it to the ground, as if twere Caines iawbone, that did the
first murder, this might be the pate of a pollitician, which this asse now
ore-reaches; one that would circumuent God, might it not?"

By this stage the bells were flashing. So I click on the link and get to

[web.uvic.ca]

now, I've never read 'Hamlet', but even I could spot the obvious graveyard influence, and sure enough, two pages later we get the famous 'Alas, poor Yorick' bit - in the same scene:

[web.uvic.ca]

So - here's my case. Mr ff, searching for inspiration for a politician's name, happens to be perusing shakespeare for inspiration whilst writing LIAGB. The quote above seems quite good, but 'Caine' isn't much of a first name. However, bunging together 'Caine' with 'Yorick' as a first name is neatly in tune with the scene it came from AND also gives a poor pun on hurricane (I still have trouble dropping this theory!).

Assuming this seems pretty watertight with you lot, I suggest a change to the notes, and a declaration of 'case closed'...

Now, the only question left is 'how anal was it to spend two days hunting for that?'

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Re: at last, poor Yorick (revealed?)
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2003 02:30AM

well, let's put it this way, PSD....you probably need a bigger cork now! (grin)

Re: at last, poor Yorick (revealed?)
Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: February 24, 2003 01:02PM

That's a nice peice of research, and I agree taht it does seem a very likely source for the name.

Warning! Product may contaminate Newts...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.