New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Charge of the Light Armored Brigade
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 21, 2003 07:58AM

As I was reading both The Eyre Affair and Lost in a Good Book, everytime the disasterous charge of the light armored brigade was mentioned, I had a funny feeling that I had heard that phrase said somewhere else before.... it wasn't until tonight that I realized it was an allusion to Tennysons' "Charge of the Light Brigade"....amazing! The more I read, the more allusions I pick up on, and the more impressed I am with this series!! Happy reading,
WolfPack2099

Re: Charge of the Light Armored Brigade
Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: May 21, 2003 08:45AM

Ummm. You DID know that Tennyson's poem and this incident were both based on a genuine historical incident, during our own reality's version of the Crimean War (which only lasted for the few years, during the 1850s, that had been the opening camapign of the much longer one in Thursday's reality), didn't you? The way in which you phrased your comment made me wonder whether that was a gap in your knowledge...
Might I enquire which side of the pond you call home?

Oh, and welcome to the fforum, anyway...

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 21, 2003 07:56PM

Welcome to the fforum, and don't worry, few of us care how deep your knowledge of British foreign affairs of the 1850's happens to be. We might ask where you happen to live, but only so we can remember to invite you along if we're meeting up somewhere. If you've got any questions about the books this is the place to ask them - Mr Ff reads the fforum's regularly, and Jon is probably the world expert in all matters Nextian, AAC produces the 'Whatever Next' fanzine, and the rest of us hang about trying very hard to be amusing. Oh, and I talk about alcohol far too much.

Anyways, feel free to hang baout and help us wander off into more strange avenues of speculation...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 23, 2003 10:26AM

Lol

Ditto. And some of us actually succeed in being amusing... occasionaly. (No, I'm not reffering to myself here!)

Argh, the mysspelling vyrus haz got mee agein...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: May 23, 2003 01:36PM

Actually it doesn't matter which side of the pond you're from - there's a lot of Brits who don't know about the Crimean War, the Charge of the Light Brigade or Alfred Lord Tennyson!

Welcome to the Fforum!

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 23, 2003 06:04PM

Didn't they name a type of saw after him?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.