New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
why can't Anton's dad bring him back?
Posted by: Anonymous User (207.203.9.---)
Date: September 17, 2003 01:31AM

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I came across The Eyre Affair a couple weeks ago, and immediately after I finished I ordered Lost In a Good Book, which I devoured. As I wait for my Well of Lost Plots to make its way overseas I discovered this forum. None of my friends are reading these books (yet!) so I hope someone can answer this.

The most troubling question to me... why doesn't Thursday's dad allow Anton to come back? Or does anyone think he tried already and it doesn't work, and we'll find out in the next book? (ie maybe he went to the Crimea and waited there for Anton to divert him from making a mistake, but was unable to do so). Does anyone else find this to be a big problem? It seems like that would be the first thing a parent would do upon becoming a rogue time traveler. I was very surprised that even though Landen was eradicated, Anton still died and was blamed for the disaster. Any thoughts (that don't spoil me for the next book)?

Thanks!

Re: why can't Anton's dad bring him back?
Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: September 17, 2003 10:15AM

Welcome to the fforum. That's an interesting ffirst post...
Bear in mind that the Colonel is more of a rebel against the corrupt (& French revisionist) elements within the Chronoguard than an actual
"rogue", and may therefore be much more reluctant to tamper with the course of history than some people might expect.
As Landen's presence in the Crimea (apparently) didn't actually cause Anton's death I don't see any particular reason why his eradication from the scene might have prevented this... and presumably somebody else (such as Colonel P?) was willing to blame Anton for causing the disaster.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.pit.adelphia.net)
Date: October 16, 2003 01:47AM

Lofty,

Plus, Cmdr. Next points out to Thursday that time is very resilient. "Time is the glue of the cosmos, Thursday, and it has to be eased apart. Try to force events and they end up whacking you on the frontal lobe like a cabbage from six paces."

gm

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cable.ubr02.stav.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: December 29, 2003 02:39AM

First time poster here too - love all the books even tho I did end up reading them in reverse the first time round lol (thanks amazon!!) and got very confused about the whole story - glad to say I have now read the whole series in correct order and I am totally hooked and can't wait for part 4!!

I had wondered why Thursday's Dad hadn't stopped Anton getting blown up and I wondered in a trekky sort of way if it had something to do with the time/space continum and that if Mr Next had saved Anton's life that something equally disasterous might have happened...if that makes sense lol

Posted by: FionaCat (---.accel.pas.earthlink.net)
Date: January 02, 2004 12:18AM

Keeping Anton from dying would be tampering with history, exactly the sort of thing Mr. Next seems to be fighting against ... my take on the whole thing is that the French revisionists (and possibly Goliath?) have been going around getting rid of people like Churchill and others to manipulate what "really" happened. If this is the case, then Thursday's Dad would do his best to fix what others have done, but not do any tinkering of his own.

Also, somewhere someone (Mr. Next?) said that it was very hard to eradicate someone and not change everything else, so maybe saving Anton would result in a whole slew of changes to the timeline and his Dad isn't (wasn't? won't be?) willing to sacrifice history just to save his son.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: March 25, 2004 02:31PM

Hi everyone, the question why Anton's father has not saved his son seems to be answered above, but WHO blamed Anton for the disaster...if not Landen!?!

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: March 25, 2004 02:47PM

Presumably, whatever officer was there in Landen's place (Landen having never joined the army, since he died at 2).

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: March 25, 2004 03:53PM

Quite right, I think I haven't fully comprehended the concept of eradication.
Thanks

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: March 25, 2004 06:47PM

In some of the 'Doctor Who' stories the Daleks had developed the ability to time-travel...
"ERADICATE! ERADICATE!"

Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 30, 2004 04:43PM

I reckon it was Goliath that killed Churchill, giving the Nazis a chance to invade, and Goliath the chance to gain hold. Maybe the Nextian world was exactly the same as ours, until long in the future when they discover timetravel, went back and gave them the technology to clone and do all that stuff, if they did change it, they could easily change it to a "Thursday-world" maybe soon, our memories will change and we will be in a "Thursday-world"....
Scary.... But also good in a way!

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Date: April 01, 2004 02:08PM

H'mmm.... Interesting theories...

logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 02, 2004 07:13PM

Or rather, our equivalent of Goliath...
Which company is that supposed to be? Ignoring the nationality change, I would say probably Microsoft, but there seem to be numerous flaws in that. Has anyone a better suggestion?
Or is it the Government?

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.rica.net)
Date: April 03, 2004 03:35AM

This is my first post. Thanks for having such a cool forum. I've just finished "Well of Lost Plots" with its boffo extra chapter for us Yanks. (I know thats another forum). I just wanted to reply to the "Who is Goliath meant to represent?" question. Since the previous post so kindly punted the blame across the pond, I'd like to add our ubiquitous Wal-Mart to the short list. With the mercenary tactics, the poor treatment of workers, and general...ickiness, Wal-Mart gets my vote. Perhaps a more disturbing question though is why we have Wal-Mart (and by extension, Goliath) in the first place. Society as a whole has dictated the need for faster, not better, @#$%&, not better, more convenient, not better. Perhaps if we all popped down to the corner grocery more frequently Goliath-Mart wouldn't be such a concern. Er...must vacate soapbox. Microwave dinner is ready.

Thanks again for the great forum and the chance to talk about these great books. As far as the question on the return of Anton via time travel goes, his death is the primary source of Thursday's internal conflict. If he is fine, she is fine. Not quite as interesting.

Date: April 03, 2004 01:16PM

The computer, for some strange reason, won't let me open Jason's latest
post to this thread...

Date: April 03, 2004 02:26PM

Okay, it's relented.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 03, 2004 04:38PM

I would say Rupert Murdoch's "empire" LQ.

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2004 08:04PM

I think I remember Jasper saying during one of his talks that Goliath represented the generic multinational conglomerate types of corporations that tend to take over everything in life, ie Microsoft, Murdoch, Wal-Mart (I'll agree with that statement for sure!) and the like. I think he said that he had originally thought about calling it Acme, like in the Looney Toons cartoons, but it didn't seem sinister enough.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but it all rings a bell!

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 11, 2004 06:20PM

I seem to remeber the Acme bit, but can't think where from exactly.

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Posted by: crrbllsweetie (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: April 19, 2004 07:47PM

It's from his Annotated Guide to the Eyre Affair-- he only did the first bit of the first chapter.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Revolt! Revolt! No matter why or when,
It's novelty--old novelty again.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 03:21PM

"WHO blamed Anton for the disaster...if not Landen!?!"

Note bene: Landen never, ever blames Anton for the disaster. He merely reports him pointing in the wrong direction. The difference is subtle, but important. TN coming to terms with this difference is quite important to the plot of TEA.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.