New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: why can't Anton's dad bring him back?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: September 02, 2004 03:22AM

Greetings. I have always thought that time and place were completely malleable tissues - thin barriers constructed to hold "sense" in its place within the narrow human view. It would seem to me that there is no real evidence that Anton is, indeed, "gone". In what way is he dead if he continues to exist in not only the character's minds but in the imagination of the readers? Anton is as alive as I am for I have yet to encounter any persuasive argument to convince me that I, myself, am not but a memory in the pages of time.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:15AM

I think that Goliath probably resembles MacDonalds.

Think about it, they are probably the one company that has spread their [useless] products everywhere. They have their 'five-star' regimental hierachy system for their workers, which rewards long-time workers in a military-like fashion. They also were so determined during the 80s to infiltrate Russia by putting such an American symbol of capitalism in Moscow quickly after the cold war ended. This may have some symbolism to the ongoing Crimean War in the Nextian universe.

Another idea may be Coca-Cola, but I'm sticking with MacDonalds. It'll be free toy plasma rifles in Happy Meals next.....

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 07:54AM

I could see Goliath being a sort of meta-McDonalds. I mean, McDonalds is big, but I think Goliath is even bigger than any single corporation our world has seen. And besides, doesn't Goliath own SmileyBurger?
Welcome to the fforum!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.uniserve.ca)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:11AM

hmm, have you got the part yet where Colonel next says that time is the glue of the cosmos (or something like that)? i think the point of eradication or a good eradication is that only one thing changes and the rest remains as much as it *should* or "would have" been.

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 12:09AM

Eradication has been around since Orwell's 1984. Deleting references to people was Winston's job. They were also, periodically, uneradicated when it suited the Party's purpose. In Orwell's future, the eradication is achieved by unspoken consensus - doublethink.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.net.gov.bc.ca)
Date: May 08, 2006 10:22PM

but if this was going to happen our world would have turned into the nextian world before 1985 at least, and well im not sure if youve noticed, but its 2006. :D

Posted by: Puck (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 12:06AM

I think speculation like that is less about the possibility of thursday's world literally happening in our world, and more about the possibilities presented by time travel technology if it ever fell into the wrong hands.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Date: May 09, 2006 12:12AM

Speculating about time-travel technology and eradication in Thursday's world is a pleasant diversion.
Orwell was writing about thoroughly achieveable 'eradication' in the real world (the Russians, for instance were gleefully airbrushing Trotsky out of photographic history).

Posted by: Puck (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 12:17AM

Right, all those photos of twelve guys sitting at a table with thirteen pairs of feet under it...

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: May 09, 2006 02:42AM

Where are these photos? I want to see them!

Date: May 09, 2006 05:34AM

You could click here or google some combination like *Trosky photo removed* (I tried this to get to the link I've given you) or some other combination such as *photo falsification removal* etc.

<if you click on the link I've provided and you're interested, click on the link within the link to go to 'The Commisar Vanishes' site.>

Post Edited (05-09-06 06:40)

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: May 21, 2006 08:06AM

I can't say for sure why he couldn't just bring him back, but i'm going to say that Anton's death is just a plot tool. A step ladder if you will to Thursday and Landan's past and future together, therefore creating more books, without Landan how would Thursday get pregnant? and if she's not pregnant why would she go to live in the well of lost plots? think about it, without Anton virtually there is no reason to have written the well of lost plots, Anton's death it very key to the stories.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.