New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Notes For Non-Brits
Posted by: Anonymous User (167.7.60.---)
Date: February 10, 2004 08:59PM

I don't know if this has been brought up before (the subject headings don't seem to indicate that it has), but i have some additions\corrections to the said Notes:
p.2; Cordelia Flakk; in the US a flak is a PR person.

p.70;half nelson; the description is wrong; what is described is an armlock. A half Nelson is when you are facing a person's back and put one of your arms under his (or hers) and then bring it around and put your hand on his (or her) neck, thus (theoretically) immobilising that arm. A full Nelson is the same thing with both arms.

These may be old news to everybody, but i just discovered this site (i finished LIAGB yesterday), and don't have time to read all the threads.

Re: Notes For Non-Brits
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.maf.govt.nz)
Date: September 26, 2005 11:38PM

and as a side note, there's a dance move in jive, and ceroc and that sort of thing called the half-nelson which is based on the same sort of thing. Calls up a very diferent picture when in the middle of a fight one pictures Thursday breaking into a jive....

Re: Notes For Non-Brits
Posted by: robert (---.mit.csu.edu.au)
Date: September 27, 2005 01:09AM

Immobilising both arms as described and then spinning the person very fast

- I suppose that would be an Eddy Nelson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.