New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Quick Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cvx6-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net)
Date: March 19, 2004 07:41AM

Hi Everyone. I'm a newbie (ugh! that term makes me cringe). I just got Well of Lost Plots (woo! hoo!), but I have one nagging question about Lost in a Good Book. What was the name of the author that Miss Havisham and the Queen of Hearts were fighting over at the book sale? I know I could find this answer easily enough myself, but I loaned out my book and I'm just too lazy. Any of you know off the top of your heads? Thanks in advance.

Re: Quick Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bpbarber.com)
Date: March 19, 2004 08:19PM

It's Daphne Farquitt.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cvx1-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net)
Date: March 19, 2004 09:34PM

Thanks, the author sounded so horrible I wanted to see if 1) she was real, and if so, 2) if I could find one of her books.

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 24, 2005 08:29AM

Farquitt is fictional. JFf has copyright issues to deal with if he wants to reference contemporary fiction, so it's easier for him to create a fictional author. (She is so roundly -- an deservedly -- criticized that no real writer would ever give permission for their name to be used. And JFf isn't that mean). The sort of romance novels Farquitt writes are so recognizably awful, however, that we have no trouble plugging her into our imagino-transfer devices. It gets to point across quite nicely.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.uniserve.ca)
Date: May 07, 2006 07:42AM

daphne farquitt or, farquittsen if you so wish.

Posted by: tieff (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 10:16AM

Even if Farquitt is fictional, it's not too difficult to think of someone it might be in real (?) life. The type of novel she writes is a good pointer.

Posted by: Puck (---.bloomfield.org)
Date: May 09, 2006 05:19PM

Farquitt is more of a stand-in for that whole genre of shoddy bodice rippers than she is a charicature of any particular author.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: robcraine (83.218.25.---)
Date: May 18, 2006 10:08PM

this thread has had a couple of ressurections... it was dormant from March 2004 to october 2005... and then again from october 05 to may 06.... I wonder why its so popular.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: vampire (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 12:34AM

Reminds me of Kilgore Trout. . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wants it? How Gollum-esque!

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.range86-134.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 01, 2007 06:32PM

Dean Koontz cut his early writing teeth penning novels like that, did you know? His penname was very recogniseably Farquittian - makes me wonder if this was where Jasper dreamed the character up from.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 02, 2007 08:12AM

I know of 11 pen names for Dean Koontz. Do you have any particular one in mind?

Many authors use pseudonyms, especially if writing in a genre where their gender does not 'fit' or with which they would not like to be associated.

Did you know that Mark Twain and Jules Verne are in fact pen names of Barbara Cartland?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.