New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Another bloophole?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.anapol01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 03:51AM

I just finished the book and would like clarification. Perhaps I just missed it but in chapter 31 Dream Topping (pg 372 USA paperback) is the following line... "It's the sort of thing," piped up James, "that Mycroft might know". How does James know Mycroft?

Re: Another bloophole?
Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 06:19PM

Interesting....I sat here thinking 'James, who's James?', so I went and looked it up ...and it's 'David' in my (UK paperback) version. I realise that doesn't answer the question but I wonder why his name was changed. Still the competition winner, yeah?

Guess it could just have been co-incidence that David/James know Mycroft from somewhere, like his finding Thursday's keys....the entroposcope was forming swirly patterns don't forget.

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Date: March 21, 2004 10:56PM

I thought at the time that that might be it, but the earlier coincidences were so much cleverer, yeah? It is odd that the man’s name was changed. Was it just the first name? Was his last name still Plummer?

Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 11:18PM

David Graham and his daughter Molly.

Actually this may be a real person....anybody?

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Date: March 22, 2004 11:48AM

In our version it was James and Catia Plummer and the were in Swindon for their honymoon.

I googled "David and Molly Graham" and by coincidence the only page I found was [www.jasperfforde.com]. It speaks of a contest that was held to be part of the next Thursday Next novel with proceeds to go to Usk House Day Hospice. I guess that explains the plot change.

Post Edited (03-22-04 12:50)

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: March 22, 2004 01:30PM

That's right, those roles in the story were won by different (Outland) people on either side of the pond... I've met our reality's version of the
'David Graham' involved, at the reading & book-signing that Jasper did in Brighton last summer.

Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: March 22, 2004 03:19PM

And as to James/David knew Mycroft, isn't Mycroft famous?

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: March 22, 2004 03:46PM

That was my impression.

Posted by: Anonymous User (216.142.50.---)
Date: March 22, 2004 05:16PM

Yes, I am sure that he is famous but using only the first name implies intimacy. When asked about relativity I would not answer "It's the sort of thing that Albert might know" :-)

Date: March 22, 2004 07:05PM

You might, if the person to whom you were speaking were Albert's nephew, and shared the Einstein name.

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.104.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: August 13, 2004 07:01AM

Just out of Interest, what question did 'James' ask Thursday?

Date: August 26, 2004 04:57PM

IIRC, he asks Thursday who the father of Pickwick's egg is.

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.109.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: August 27, 2004 08:16AM

And who is the father?

=)

Yes.... Uh, no.... Actually......I don't know.... Um, hang on.... What was the question again?

Re: The Father of Pickwick's egg.
Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: August 28, 2004 03:06AM

As I've got the book handy, I'll quote Thursday's answer.

Exerpt from pages 373-374 of the US hardback edition of Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde. Used without permission, but hopefully Jasper won't be inclined to sue me.

"Who is the father of Pickwick's egg?"
I get asked some odd questions sometimes. But he was driving me across town, so I thought I would show him some slack.
"I think it was one of the feral dodos down at the park," I explained. "I caught Pickwick doing a sort of coy come-hither dodo thing a month back, with a large male near the bandstand. Pickwick's amour plocked noisily outside the house for a week, but I didn't know anything had actually happened. Does that answer your question?"
"I guess."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.