New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Red Queen vs. Queen of Hearts
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2004 01:18AM

Up until Thursday's second trial scene with the King and Queen of Hearts, I thought that the Red Queen was from Lewis Carrol. From Thursday's reaction to the Queen of Hearts, I'm guessing now that they are not the same character.

What am I missing here?

The Red Queen is absolutely hilarious and her relationship with Miss Haversham is a laugh riot.

Can someone enlighten me please. From what literary source is the Red Queen taken?

Thanks

Re: Red Queen vs. Queen of Hearts
Posted by: Anne (193.129.253.---)
Date: March 25, 2004 10:11AM

Both are from Lewis Carrol. The Queen of Hearts is from Alice in Wonderland. The Red Queen is from Alice through the Looking Glass. If I remember rightly (and I have to admit it's a long time since I last read Alice) the Red Queen is a chess piece who runs very fast without actually moving. Something I find myself doing all too often.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: March 25, 2004 01:35PM

The Red Queen is from Lewis Carroll, but from 'Alice's Adventures Through the Looking Glass' rather than 'Alice in Wonderland'. Some chess sets have (or, at any rate, had) red pieces instead of black ones, and she was originally (& was depicted in the illustrations as clearly being based on) the queen from one of those...

Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: March 25, 2004 01:39PM

Oops! I somehow (due to the fact that this thread appeared on my screen with only the opening post visible, and a list of all the ones so far [i.e. that one and your reply] underneath it) the fact that you'd already explained this...

Posted by: splat21 (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 20, 2004 04:59PM

The Queen of Hearts (apart from the obvious cards reference) appears earlier than Carroll in what turned into a nursery rhyme but came from a much longer poem first written by Charles Lamb in 1805:

The Queen of Hearts
She made some Tarts
All on a Summers day
The Knave of Hearts
He stole those Tarts
And took them quite away

The King of Hearts
Call'd for those Tarts
And beat the Knave full sore
The Knave of Hearts
Brought back those Tarts
And vow'd he'd steal no more.

(The version I learned as a child is slightly different, but only by one word...)

Post Edited (06-20-04 18:00)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range81-153.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 24, 2004 08:03PM

Which is...?

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:26AM

Seeing as no-one is replying to you, I will put forward my suggestion...

I think the word was 'knave' and it was probably substituted for 'Jack' as 'knave' is in a deck of English cards. Hence, the 'J' cards.

The Queen of Hearts earlier reference is all very good, but this doesn't suggest the origins of the Red Queen. Surely a Red Queen could be a queen of hearts or a queen of diamonds?

Or maybe it's the Queen from the Resident Evil film????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder~~~~~*

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:01AM

I think it's made clear in the book that the Red Queen is from Lewis Carroll's second Alice book, Through the Looking Glass. She is one of the many chess pieces Alice meets while making her way across an enormous chess board.
Your explanation of "knave" versus "jack" has dredged up a wisp of a memory of a scene from Great Expectations in which Estella complains that Pip is so ignorant and common that he calls the knaves "jacks" in their card game. Interesting coincidence, considering that it is Miss Havisham from Great Expectations who hates the Red Queen.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 16, 2005 08:40PM

Hmmmn, that is a strange coincidence...

...better get the entroposcope out!

Spyder Webb~~~*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.