New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
question from an American
Posted by: AmyK (---.texoma.net)
Date: August 10, 2004 06:27PM

Okay, so my question is this:
When Thursday is talking to her parents about disappearing towards the end of the book and her father talks about sideslipping her into the world as *we know it, Thursday asks if Goliath will be there and he says that t will be, but under a different name. I would like to know what he's talking about. Now it's probably something completely obvious and I'm just reading to much into, but just in case it's not... The only thing I can think of is the Virgin corporation. Even before I went to London earlier this summer I noticed that Virgin seems to own at least one of everything. I was only in London for about a week (and it didn't rain once!) but being there really just seemed to prove my theory that if nothing else, then that Virgin owns something of everything. Is this correct? Have I just rambled on for too long? Someone help me please.

Re: question from an American
Date: August 11, 2004 05:55AM

Anyone out there? Can anyone decipher anything I wrote?

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 12, 2004 11:48AM

Hi!
I think that Jasper didn't have any one particular corporation in mind when he wrote that line.

"Customers are advised that this product may
contain meat from re-engineered speices."

Date: August 12, 2004 04:59PM

Yeah, that crossed my mind, too. Something about thinking too hard.

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.wilderness.com.au)
Date: August 12, 2004 11:49PM

Even in Australia, Virgin has quite a few companies. I don't mind it though. You should read Richard Branson's Auto biography 'Losing my Virginity'. You don't seem to mind quite so much then.

Date: August 13, 2004 05:46PM

Ehh. They don't bother me so much. It just seemed like the company that would be most closely related to Goliath because it owns so much, well...stuff. However, they don't have evil Schitts running the company and holding the government in it's back pocket.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: August 23, 2004 05:46PM

You could kinda see it happening tho. They have music labels, stores, cosmetics, trains, planes, an outlet to influence everyone.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2004 09:58AM

don't forget the mobile phones...they have those too...

so in effect, they own media, commerce, hygeine, travel and communications...next I bet they start buying banks...

pretty soon they'll be a "religion" ;-)

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 16, 2004 11:27PM

What I'm really worried about is Disney. I mean, any corporation taking over the world is bad, but Disney sure owns a lot, and they wouldn't stop until they'd taken over our minds and remade the whole world into Disneyland, the happiest place on earth.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.manc-a-1.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: November 29, 2004 09:28PM

Contenders for 'our world' Goliath.....

Microsoft
Starbucks
McDonalds
Virgin
@#$%&
News Corporation

My money is on News Corp - one half of name matches, Murdoch does seem to have world domination on his mind......

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 12:39AM

Someone mentioned Disney at one point, although I think that's on it's way down.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 02:28AM

When I mentioned Disney, I wasn't so concerned with a real possibility of them taking over the world. Rather, I was worried about how truly frightening it would be if they did.

Posted by: PhoenixAsh (---.178.111.65.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 12:10AM

In order to take over the world, they would have to be worldwide, right? So what is News Corp? Because it's not over here in the States, or at least it's not that popular.
More like Associated Press if you want something with unlimited access to everything.
The Starbucks line was alright, but they're on the verge of collapse if their stock goes down anymore. And this is really bad, because I live in Seattle, where there is literally a Starbucks on every corner.
And as for Microsoft...give it a rest already.
Oh, and @#$%& has more than enough competition in the US alone to keep it out of the running.

Geez I sound bitter.

My bet's on Walmart.

"I count religion but a childish toy,
And hold there is no sin but ignorance."
Jew of Malta, prologue
Christopher Marlowe

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bak.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 04:48AM

News Corp is owned by Rupert Murdoch and he is indeed over here in the US. Fox TV, 20th Century Fox, New York Post, etc are part of his empire. I'd say his network of companies would make a 'good' Goliath.

Posted by: Haylo (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 05:24PM

spike_fan wrote:

> I'd say his network of companies would
make a 'good' Goliath.

Yup, I think Murdoch is definitely a contender. Anyone who owns that much of the media and dabbles in politics should come under suspicion. But I was reading the bit in SR when it mentions that Goliath actually own Goliathopolis (?) and was scarily reminded that the same thing happened with Disney in Florida. Apparently they actually own the land Disneyworld is built on and have their own government for it, the American Government have no authority on that bit of land (which for any UK readers who haven't been, is roughly the same size as greater Manchester).

Just thought you'd like to know. Am off to make more little tin foil hats to stop Murdoch/Mcdonalds/Starbucks/Virgin/the BBC getting into my head...

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range81-153.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 03:00PM

I wouldn't have thought it was Walmart. They are nothing over here. They only own Asda. Tescos is far bigger here, but it couldn't be that as it is mentioned in the books.

Post Edited (02-18-05 23:22)

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr06.wi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 18, 2005 04:16PM

There are Virgin Finacinal products out there,now

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dialup.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 25, 2005 11:18AM

phoenixAsh wrote thusly:

"In order to take over the world, they would have to be worldwide, right? So what is News Corp? Because it's not over here in the States, or at least it's not that popular."

News Corp *is* in the US, having owned and/or controlled studios such as 20th Century Fox and its associated television networks, at least one US satellite TV broadcaster, one large publishing house (HarperCollins) and populist newspapers such as the "New York Post". They also have substantial media holdings in Asia, Australasia (where the company was formed in the 1960s) and Europe (where, amongst other titles, News Corp own three London mastheads -- "News of the World", "The Sun" and "The Times").

But News Corp, Starbucks, WalMart and others mentioned here are IMHO too narrow in focus to be an equivalent for "Goliath". My bet would be that it's an amalgam of companies such as GE (which is a major media owner (NBC) as well as a major aircraft, shipbuilding and armaments manufacturer) and massive mercantile concerns of the past such as the Dutch East India Company, the British East India Company and the Hanseatic League (each of which were private corporations that maintained their own colonial empires and military forces and were effectively superpowers in their own right).

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range86-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 14, 2005 07:45PM

Jasper hinted that it might be Ikea actually! He said, the always get away with it, they're a huge multi-national corporation, and yet there always seen as fluffy because they're blue and yellow and scandinavian.

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: Haylo (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 29, 2005 09:28PM

mebbeido wrote:

> and yet there always seen as fluffy because
> they're blue and yellow and scandinavian.

Ah, that's everyone's excuse nowadays...

I bet Dan Brown is single-handedly running Goliath and just created this Holy Grail thing to throw us off the scent...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.