New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Other recomended authors
Posted by: Anonymous User (209.232.195.---)
Date: October 01, 2004 12:37AM

Just finished "Lost in a good book" and loved it. Wondering if anyone has recomendations of other authors like Jasper Fforde.

Thanks,
Violets

Re: Other recomended authors
Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: October 01, 2004 01:35PM

Terry Prathcett, Tom Holt and Robert Rankin are kinda similar in ideas, and all worth giving a try

Welcome to the fforum

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Anonymous User (217.205.174.---)
Date: October 06, 2004 09:16AM

Hello Violets

Tom Holt.

The same kind of irreverent humour, all wrapped around fictional characters in the real world and mythical heroes come to life...excellent stuff.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 11:26PM

Heresy! How dare you suggest that other authors even exist...?

Just kidding. :) Well, of course "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" is full of crazy nonsense...if you try to forget that it's an allusion of British government...and definitely worth a read, as are all of the classics.

For more lighthearted fun, try "Pygmalion" (adopted into the movie "My Fair Lady"-- the funniest character in all literature is Henry Higgins, in this book), Agatha Christie's novels are the BEST mystery novels out there, (Try "And then there were None"), and if you're into kind of wry-humor-ish sadly funny kind-of-serious novels, "Animal Farm" by George Orwell is the way to go. Dare I suggest that you try out the kids series, "A series of Unfortunate Events"? Well, I guess I do dare...there is a lot of sophisticated humor even though the book is directed towards kids. And of course, you must read some Shakespeare before you die.

Sorry that that was all pretty random...but there's just so much out there!

Posted by: vampire (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 06:06AM

And for all purposes, there is the glorious Douglas Adams!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wants it? How Gollum-esque!

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 07:05PM

Neil Gaiman,

Tom Stoppard,

Kurt Vonnegut,

Lewis Carroll,

Joseph Heller,

(of course Douglas Adams),

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE!!!!

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: May 20, 2006 11:08PM

Terry Pratchett!

Date: May 24, 2006 02:39AM

I second Vonnegut and Caroll!
And Shakespeare ought to go without saying. Like the Beatles and the aqueducts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: June 07, 2006 02:02AM

Craig Fergusen!
He's the host of the Late Late Show on CBS, but he wrote a novel recently -- "Between the Bridge and the River." I'm halfway through and it's amazing! Vmuch like Douglas Adams, actually. Only a lot more -- Craig Fergusen-ish

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: June 07, 2006 02:51AM

Hmmm…I have a classmate named Craig Ferguson…smartest guy in the class, but as far as I know he hasn't written any novels yet!

Posted by: ElizaBennett (---.marchofdimes.com)
Date: June 07, 2006 08:41PM

I agree that there's no other author quite like Jasper Fforde -- his work is in a class by itself. However, if you'd like to meet another whimsical and highly literary detective, I can recommend Lord Peter Wimsey, hero of a series of novels by Dorothy L. Sayers, written in the 1930s. "Murder Must Advertise" is a good one to start with.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.25-151.libero.it)
Date: July 28, 2006 01:33AM

Hi!
You could try DOUGLAS ADAMS, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
I think you could like it!
Bye

Posted by: Puck (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2006 08:57PM

I second Terry Pratchett - the reason he was not on my last list was because I hadn't yet read any of his books when I posted it. I have made quite a few library runs since then...

Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: RookeeAlding (68.208.65.---)
Date: September 29, 2006 12:24AM

I'll third Douglas Adams, but be careful with his. the logic is funny, but if you don't like space, dolphins or the number 42, you might want to stay away.
(His books are right next to Ffordes on my desk, All of them.)

I've heard the name Terry Pratchett alot...I've never read any. but he's almost alway recomended with Fforde and Adams.

Posted by: RookeeAlding (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 12:15AM

Also if you have kids that you might want to plung into these kind of stories, try the Artimis Fowl series, it isn't as crazy but it has it's moments. Sort of like a starting point for the downward spiral that is this type of logic.

( another english dude, go figure)

Posted by: PrincessP (---.dhcp.gldl.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 04, 2006 06:15AM

Oh, but he is so very different from Fforde. I guess you could pin some of the difference on the Irish-Wales business. And the children's author-adult author thing.

Posted by: Puck (---.dorm.reed.edu)
Date: October 04, 2006 07:12PM

Adams, Pratchett, and Fforde are not actually all that similar themselves as far as the obvious plots and genres of their books. It's more an indefinable (or very complicated to define, see our thread on Nextian Chat) sort of tone thing going that can be roughly categorized as "British Humour." I never quite lumped Colfer in with the rest of them, though, for some reason...

I would also highly recommend the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, especially if you like Colfer. (In my opinion, it's a little more sophisticated than Artemis Fowl - maybe somewhere between that and Discworld as far as the age range it's mainly geared towards, though of course there's huge overlap.)

Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 11, 2006 04:29PM

Interestingly, Puck named Shakespeare as "an author like Fforde"... Well, Shakespeare does borrow a lot from other pieces of literature...

Anyway, Susanna Clarke can also be mentioned here. Her "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" is fun to read.

Posted by: Puck (---.dorm.reed.edu)
Date: October 14, 2006 08:41PM

You should read Shakespeare no matter what. End of story. *grin*

Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: October 16, 2006 01:11PM

I totally agree with you!!!!!! *smile*

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.