New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:38AM

Hi everyone!
I got a quick question about LiaGB. Is the mistake in "Les Artes Modernes de Swindon" a deliberate one (I assume it is)? If so, am I missing a reference here? Sorry if I'm asking a question that was already asked a hundred times before!

Thanks!

Post Edited (02-16-06 03:44)

Re: Newbie
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 04:42PM

While we're at it, could someone please explain the title of chapter 7 (White Horse, Uffington, Picnics, for the Use of) for me? And one last question, how do you pronounce Devizes??
Cheers,
A

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 03:43AM

Qu 1. I'd say the error is deliberate but you're not missing anything - it's just supposed to be silly. It sounds a bit like the old "Franglaise" column in Punch. You might have noticed by now that the cultural aspects of Swindon are highly regarded by Jasper.

Qu 2. I actually googled the entire contents of the parentheses and got a huge swag of results including references to academic papers! The most revealing hit was 'Weird Wiltshire' which had a news report from 1983 when apparently there was quite a brouhaha going on about tourists clambering all over the site with their egg sandwiches and thermos flasks and the National Trust created a huge area specifically for folk to have picnics and view the horse without destroying it.
This story doesn't necessarily have anything to do with 'explaining' Jasper's title but it shows a possible context.
And I don't know if they have all sizes in Devizes or old geezers in Devizes either.

Posted by: tieff (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 06:35AM

Qu2: since Thursday and Landon meet their old army friends there, Jasper seems to be parodying militaryspeak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.