New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Eyre Affair :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Posts relating to TN-1 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Flexitime?
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 25, 2003 12:10PM

I'm presumably not the first person to notice this point, but don't recall seeing it mentioned in the fforum before... I don't recall seeing it clarified or corrected in Jasper's own comments about TEA, either.

Chapter 27, page 279 in the UK paperback edition.

When Thursday and Bowden are inadvertently time-travelling after the incident on the M1, and they ask somebody whom they encounter during a stop what the current date is, the reply leads to them having the following conversation:

'We're three weeks in the past?' he queried.
'Or fifty-six weeks in the future."
''Or one hundred and eight.'

Does this mean that their calendar includes years of fifty-nine weeks [ & maybe afew extra days each] as well as the fifty-two-week [& one extra day, or two days if it's a leapyear] years that are standard for our Earth?

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Re: Flexitime?
Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 25, 2003 12:23PM

Hmm. I must have remembered it wrongly. I thought that the bloophole was essentially that he'd add the three weeks to the 52 rather than taken it away. They must still have 52 weeks in a year as 108-56 = 52.

That would only work if it were 4 weeks rather than 3 though.

Re: Flexitime?
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 25, 2003 07:43PM

Unless they're near the middle of the week, such that those 1 or 2 extra days make them round off to a different number.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.