New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Eyre Affair :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Posts relating to TN-1 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Is this a bloophole...?
Posted by: Anonymous User (193.195.146.---)
Date: August 01, 2003 01:27PM

I've just been re-reading TEA with great enjoyment -- noticing lots more this time round. One of the tings I've noticed is this: Thursday and Landen go to see Richard III on a Friday night, yet when Thursday gets back to the Finis Hotel, the Milton weekend is 'ending with a disco'. (Sorry for lack of page refs, I haven't got the book here -- I'm at work and the web is temptation enough.)

Have I missed something fundamental here, like weekends being Thursday and Friday in the Nextian world?

I'm very, very sorry if this has already been discussed -- but I couldn't find it.

Something else I'd like to comment on, although this is probably the wrong place, is the pleasing occurrence of Land Rovers in the series. There they are, in the background, steadily going about their work. Mine was born in 1985... maybe that accounts for its occasional strange behaviour.

BTW hello -- I'm new.

Re: Is this a bloophole...?
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 01, 2003 07:20PM

Welcome to the fforum, you'll find that it is the literary equivalent of a Land Rover test track - it goes on for miles and if you get the wrong gear you could be here a long time... Oh, and don't open your doors as you go through the deeper puddles...

I can't remember anything about weekdns being different, so I guess ssomebody ought to alert the Chronoguard...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: August 05, 2003 01:39PM

You're not wrong. I'd also add 'always carry a shovel', especially after getting stuck in a nasty rut somewhere in the vicinity of Marlborough (yep, near Swindon...)

I'm collecting literary Land Rovers. Suzanne Cleminshaw in 'The Great Ideas' says 'don't get out of the Land Rover', and of course there's one described as 'rural as a turnip' in Michael Frayn's 'Headlong'. It has a pivotal role: a categary B supporting character, I'd say, but then I'm biased. Can't find any in poetry, despite ploughing through two immense 20th C. collections and the Faber Book of War Poetry.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 10, 2003 11:52PM

Hi Safety Fox, welcome - I bet there's a Land Rover somewhere in Buchan (though not poetry!) and there must be loads of references in Gerald Hammond's books - we're very good at going off track here, so it's probs the ideal phorum vehicle...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 11, 2003 11:46AM

Yes, there certainly are quite a few references to Land Rovers in Gerald Hammond's books... but if by "Buchan " you mean John Buchan (of 'The Thirty-Nine Steps', 'The Courts of the Morning', 'John McNab', etc) then I think that he stopped writing before the first Land Rovers were built.

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Date: August 12, 2003 01:42PM

Thanks for the tip-offs everyone! and as for going off track, I'm an expert!

I'm sorry to say I hadn't heard of Gerald Hammond so I've just paid a quick visit to Amazon... I suspect there might be literary land rovers in Andy McNab and Wilbur Smith, but despite the best efforts of my next-door neighbour I've been unable to get into them so I'm none the wiser.

I'm fully intending to read the entire 'Precious Ramotswe' series by Alexander McCall Smith as I'm sure one or two will have to crop up there -- plus some of my best land rover based experiences have been in Southern Africa, including Botswana where the novels are set. So far I have only read the first one, 'The Number-One Ladies Detective Agency', but I'd recommend it highly. Good holiday reading.

SF

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 12, 2003 08:31PM

I like them too SF - very gentle books in a funny kind of way.

Did wonder whether Buchan pre-dated Land Rovers, Simon - I was hoping someone would tell me if he did so thanks ;)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: August 13, 2003 09:13AM

The first Land Rover appeared in 1948 if that's any help :-)

SF

Posted by: ilovespike (---.visp.co.nz)
Date: September 16, 2003 09:00PM

Safety Fox, have you considered becoming part of the Jurisfiction Auto-mobile Division?

from moy
Your annoying neighbourhood tween.

P.S If I haven't already said so...welcome to the Fforum!

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.108.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: August 22, 2004 03:03AM

Possibly worth mentioning for the upgrades SF.

Oh, and welcome to the fforum, we're all quite mad.

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.108.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: October 09, 2004 03:50AM

And (SMALL SPOILER AHEAD AVERT YOUR EYES!) there is a reference in LIAGB with the Cardenio forgery.

=)

Yes.... Uh, no.... Actually......I don't know.... Um, hang on.... What was the question again?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.