New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Eyre Affair :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Posts relating to TN-1 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Puns, allusions, wit, etc. in the books...
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 19, 2003 08:23PM

Hey...in my lit class, we're doin a proj on eyre affair...and we needa find puns, literary/historical allusions, etc...any help would b appreciated...:D

Re: Puns, allusions, wit, etc. in the books...
Posted by: teacher (---.mcbone.net)
Date: September 19, 2003 09:15PM

Hi Hokuba -

First of all: Welcome to the Fforum!

As you can see from my assumed name in this extravaganza ... well I am a teacher (at a University) ... so it seems I am the right person to react to this and I will play up to my role now.
I guess the idea of the project is that YOU work on the book and not that you link to some Internet Forum and let other people do the work for you. Do I have to explain the impotance of ORIGINAL work and thinking? What you aim at is cheating, I think.
Sorry mate, but I get quite a few e-mail of that sort in my job (You are working on xyz, could you write my paper for me ...) so I tend to be a bit sensitive on that subject.

Ok - if you really are interested in discussing allusions etc., I wil try to help you to find them yourself. Where would you start? TEA is FULL OF ALLUSIONS.
You could start with direct references. Which other books or texts are mentioned directly in TEA?
The trust your own inteligence. What did certain scenes remind you of? Yes - there are also quite a few allusions to movies and comics ...
Check thoses scenes again whether it is really 'in the book' or just 'in your head'.
Now you could try the passages where you laughed and search them for puns.
Post again for new tips ;o)

Good luck!

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: September 20, 2003 08:19AM

Or look through the fforum for Jon's explanation of many of the references in the books...

Congratulations to your teacher for thinking of using 'The Eyre Affair' for this purpose: Have they said whether they ever look here?

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: September 20, 2003 02:22PM

Probably not Simon. Otherwise it would be even more thoughtless to ask the fforum for doing his homework.

@Hokuba: I'd suggest reading the book as a starting point for your project. Otherwise the allusions and puns will be really hard to find.

...you know you're getting old when you notice that you agree with teachers about that it is important to do your homework yourself or that chatting or playing cards during class is not okay. Ten years ago I would have begged that someone shoots me as soon as I develop such opinions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: teacher (---.mcbone.net)
Date: September 20, 2003 05:11PM

Hey Vi ...
I am glad we seem to be of the same opinion here. First time?!
I guess its the monent for some virtual champagne? Here it comes *plopp ... blubbblubbb ... clink* Cheers!
Ahhh - now ... our agreement even extends to the 'shoot me' part ... well, life shapes people, doesn't it.

Hokuba: The 'Non Brits Guide to TEA' which Simon has mentioned above could really be of help for you, especially with the historical references - e.g. if you don't remember all the details of the Crimean War at the moment (I would call that only natural ... but you could use that as a starting point to read about 19th century history ... non project sed vitae discimus, hm?!).

Yes - teachers who use TEA in class are wonderful (including me, of course)!

Date: September 21, 2003 08:04PM

yeah, in reality, i was just wonderin what som of y'all's favorite stuff in eyre affair would be...i've found a lot, just wanna see if i missed any of the good stuf...

Posted by: violentViolet (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: September 22, 2003 12:07AM

Cheers, teacher. I guess agreeing on such matters is a symptom of growing old, so drinking is a good idea to make me forget I'm growing old.

Btw. I really think it would be a good idea to introduce school uniforms in German schools. Let's forget about the champagne and take some hard liquor. (unless we disagree on that, then the hard stuff's only for me)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: teacher (---.Anglistik.Uni-Mainz.DE)
Date: September 22, 2003 12:11PM

Ok. Vi - the champagne was for celebration ... now lets do some serious drinking ;o)
Liquor is always appreciated especially when Single Malt Scotch ...

School uniforms? Ooooh nooooo ... not that discussion (it is one of the favorite essay topics in school) ... this will end in the usual 'are the teenagers too sexy?' blurb which has been all over Germany in the last weeks ...
Getting conservative with the years? Yes, it seems to be a natural law ... and I will try to fight it if possible!

Hokuba: Sorry for being very patronising then. But that wasn't clear from your first post (and - as I said - it is a sore point for me). Let's share observations then! I guess everyone has his/her favorite allusions. A grand one is - of course - 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' by Tennyson. I have found a picture on the net were the charger's heads have been replaced by lightbulbs (LIGHT Brigade ... hihihi). Everyone who wants to take a look, check here:

[www.b3ta.com]

(scroll down a bit ...)

Date: September 24, 2003 10:36PM

hahaha...thats a gr8 pic...or, the idea, at least...

Posted by: Estelyn (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 10:33AM

I discovered a play on words that I haven't seen included in Jon's notes or any of the other references I've read so far (granted, I'm sure I've not read *everything* on TEA!). In the second chapter, we are introduced to Thursday's co-worker Paige Turner. Jasper is clever - he never uses both names together, just alternates them at will. But when I realized they are one and the same person, I chuckled over the appropriateness of a term that fits his own books so well!

Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless? (JRRT)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.