New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Eyre Affair :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Posts relating to TN-1 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Mr. Stiggins in TEA
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.mdconsult.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 06:09PM

I just finished The Eyre Affair ... after picking up Lost in a Good Book at the airport the other week. Excellent! Very fun.

But I have a question. If Neanderthals only speak in the third person, why does Mr. Stiggins speak in the first person at the end of The Eyre Affair.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I'm new. (Be gentle!)

Zenda

Re: Mr. Stiggins in TEA
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: April 01, 2004 02:00PM

It's been asked before, but still not answered.
Welcome to the fforum.

Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.mdconsult.com)
Date: April 01, 2004 05:21PM

Thanks! It's good to be here. Much fun so far ... :-D

Posted by: Dibs (---.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: April 07, 2004 02:18PM

Possibly a mistake? Or the break in the convention was there to imply an emotional bond? I can't quite remember where he talks in the third person. If it was to introduce himself, I'd guess it's because the joke/reference doesn't work otherwise.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2004 06:15AM

It was at the very end at the wedding. I noticed it too, but chalked it up to an afterthought on Jasper's part, since we didn;t actually know they spoke in third person until book 2.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dudleycommunity.org.uk)
Date: February 09, 2006 03:43PM

It happens again at some point, I think TN4. Towards the end, Mr Stiggins asks them to come to "my house". Later, Thursday reflects there was something odd about the conversation but she can't remember what.

I don't have the book here with me but I'm sure I remember the incident because I went back to try and find what could be "odd" and that was the only thing I could find.

Maybe this is a plot point that will become clear in later books.

Or maybe JFf just made a mistake.

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: June 06, 2006 12:08AM

If I recall Mr. Stiggins understood people more than other Neanderthals did, so maybe Japser was using the first person refferences to point out the bond between him and Thursday by having him speaking in 1st person to appeal to the human way a bit more and represent how he understands because if anyone has read Something Rotten yet (apologies if I ruin anything for those who haven't) he plays in the croquet tournament and get some other Neanderthals to as well, and he only did to help Thursday because he could tell it was important to her. I think it represents a connection more then anything else.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.