New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Eyre Affair :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Posts relating to TN-1 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pink Dodo
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.BOBST.NYU.EDU)
Date: April 07, 2004 01:24AM

I'm brand new to the forum and have searched but can't find this subject; hope this isn't just a rehash.

In The Eyre Affair, gene splicing is common and all sorts of intersting creatures result. One is a pink dodo and the book says that the pink color is the result of splicing in some genes from a flamingo.

Was this perhaps a deliberate joke? Doesn't eveyone know that flamingos are genetically *white* and only take on their pink coloration when they're on a diet rich in shrimp?

Len, from the U.S. of A. as anyone can tell by his flagrant misspelling of "colour" :^).

Re: Pink Dodo
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: April 07, 2004 01:24PM

Welcome to the fforum.

Oops! Didn't notice that detail before this... Maybe what the genes gave that Dodo was the ability to absorb the [carotenoid?] pigments involved and thus turn pink if suitably fed, and its owner has been feeding it appropriately?
(By the way, one can colour-feed "pink" canaries, too, so could it be that this ability is actually a fairly widespread amongst birds anyway?)

Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master.

Posted by: Dibs (---.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: April 07, 2004 02:16PM

I'm guessing that it was a simple mistake, or rather that Jasper wasn't aware of that. I really don't think that eveyone knows that. Perhaps it's more common knowledge in the US.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 06:09PM

Ooh, good catch! You know, I knew that too, but didn't fit the two together.

Perhaps it will make it into the upgrades at some point!

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 08, 2004 10:18AM

I knew that as well, I just didn't think about it when I read about it being spliced. I heard that a long time ago, I don't think when I'm reading, "Here is a piece of information, I shall now croiss reference it with every piece of knowledge I know" I simply can't!!

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Date: April 08, 2004 11:52AM

Does anybody else here think that a 'pink dodo' should be a type of cocktail? I'd suggest Amaretto (or Strawberry Liqueur?), Rum and Cream...
Any other ideas?

"Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master."

Date: April 08, 2004 07:02PM

OooOOooh...Amaretto, grenadine, rum and cream (gotta get some good pink in there!) Plus then it'll taste a bit like a cherry cordial candy!!

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 08, 2004 07:36PM

If you drink too many will you become extinct? Or just wish you were?

Date: April 09, 2004 12:09AM

Had some trouble logging in yesterday and message posted was lost :^(.

Simon: Thanks ffor the welcome. Didn't know that about canaries. How do they get them to eat all that shrimp? I like your cocktail idea. Do your eyeballs turn pink after drinking a few?

Dibs: I'm sure you're correct. We've got lots of flamingoes in Florida. And at least one dodo running the place.

Cutie: (What part of America, if that's not too personal?) Thanks! What's an "upgrade"? Revised edition? I've just started TWOLP and already have a couple of beauts for that one.

mebbeido: I don't either. Just sort of grabs me by the nape and won't let go until I've thought it through. Slow reader!

Maqda: Hahaha!

Btw, did anyone (everyone?) notice the "families"-should-be-family's erratum on the inside back flap of the TEA dust jacket? You need a magnifying glass to see it.

Len

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 09, 2004 09:29AM

Welcome.
The "upgrades" can be found on the main Thursday Next page. They're just Jasper's way of correcting errors he and his editors missed out.

And maybe the pink colouration by shrimps is related to the orange/yellow colouration caused by Sunny Delight?

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Date: April 09, 2004 07:59PM

Nyuser, I live about 30 miles south of Washington DC....I assume you're in NYC, since you have an NYU IP address :)

Date: April 10, 2004 10:20PM

LeonardQuirm wrote:

> Welcome.
The "upgrades" can be found on the main Thursday Next page.

Thanks. I'll look there soon. Also, I drink so much carrot juice that my skin is a bit orange (doctor says it's not a problem). So it works for humans, too!

----------------------------------------
All American Cutie wrote:

> Nyuser, I live about 30 miles south of Washington DC....I
> assume you're in NYC, since you have an NYU IP address :)

Yup. NYC.

---------------------------------------
Anyone know why, even though I check the "E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above" box before clicking "Post", I don't get any e-mail from the fforum?

Len

Date: April 11, 2004 05:17AM

it's one of those weird things...sometimes it works, sometimes not. The "New" tags don't always work either...

Posted by: mebbeido (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 11, 2004 11:57AM

Nyuser, the families thing, is that the "may affect you or your families continued rights to..."?
If it is then yes, I have seen it.
If it isn't then no, I haven't.

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: April 11, 2004 06:29PM

I don't know, but could it be that the messages coming onto the fforum rather than going to inboxes is to do with how you respond?
As in: I always respond by typing in the text box at the bottom (as I suspect many of you do). Maybe the messages only go back to the e-mail of the first poster if you press "Reply To This Message" on their post...?
Just a possibility.

----

Well, because it is submersed in a marine environment, I've always called it the Going-Under-The-Water-Safely-Device.

Date: April 12, 2004 06:27PM

ya, trying to read a threaded view on this (or any of Jasper's fforums) is utterly useless! Don't EVEN bother!

Date: April 13, 2004 02:49PM

AAC _
Grenadine, too? Good idea, I like that!
Maybe this recipe could be tested at the next Nextian get-together, wherever & whenever that occurs, and the results be reported here? Any volunteers as test-dodoes?

Nyuser _
Re the canaries: I think that it's coloured seeds, rather than shrimps, that provide the colouring in their case.

"Logic is like Fire, a good servant but a bad master."

Date: April 13, 2004 09:36PM

Simon, since Skiffle is coming to visit me in May, I was thinking we might have an evening of trying new recipes for Nextian drinks! (Of course she doesn't have any idea about this, but I have a feeling she might be game!)

Maybe Firefly and Slightcap would come help be taste testers!

Date: April 13, 2004 09:59PM

mebbeido: Yes, that's the one and yes, you have. Maybe they deliberately made it so small that we'd have to look carefully and then planted the solecism as a joke/reward.

Simon: Hahaha, I never thought anyone would actually attempt to stuff shrimp down a canary's gullet -- just thought the idea was funny. [No birds were harmed during the writing of this post.]

Thanks to all for suggestions about the email thing. I'll just try to show up here once in a while and see if there's anything new.

Len

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.scps.k12.fl.us)
Date: April 29, 2004 08:40PM

I knew it was something unnatural that made the flams. pink, don't really know if it makes a difference, wouldn't the shrimp in the flams. diet change the make up of the birds when the dodo were spliced with them?
Who cares, the idea of a pink Dodo is smashing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.