New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Eyre Affair :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Posts relating to TN-1 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
a signed copy...
Posted by: leideebugz (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 17, 2004 03:20AM

I found a signed copy of TEA quite by accident. Does anyone know if Jasper Fforde gives any other validation at book signings to prove the book was actually signed by him? I found a sample signature on EBay and the 2 appear to match. Any thoughts?

Re: a signed copy...
Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: April 17, 2004 06:20PM

Which edition? US or UK, hardback or paperback?

I believe Jasper usually signs extra stock at bookshops when he tours, and has been known to do guerilla signings as well, so the signature is a pleasant surprise to whoever buys it.

Posted by: mebbeido (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2004 03:57PM

I found two signed WOLPs in Birmingham, I want to know whether that was guerilla, or just stock sent out.

------------
'Pompadour,' spat my mother. 'Living in sin with his pompadour.'

Date: April 19, 2004 12:46AM

It is a US hardcover. I checked out his old postings for signing tours, so I am going to assume it was one of the Barnes & Noble tours, being as that is where I got the book.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2004 05:53AM

If I remember correctly, I think he did a huge number of warehouse signings for TEA that were then sent out to the booksellers. However, this would have been 3 years ago and it's most likely that all of those books were sold.

Do you know if it's a first edition? If it's first edition, it was probably the warehouse signing. If it's not a first edition, and that particular Barnes and Noble was on the list of venues for his book tour in the last 2 years, it could have been a store stock copy that he signed.

In fact, if you'd like to read more about his signatures, you can check out this section about signature styles And here's a section all about the US Hardcover of TEA. That covers the first and second edition. I can't remember if it has hit 3rd of 4th printing yet.

Hope that helps you figure it out!

Date: April 25, 2004 07:55PM

I looked at the page you suggested and it fits his first signature (all caps.) I didn't mention it earlier, but I work for a division of Barnes & Noble. Usually if a store ends up with a surplus of book, they'll ship it back to the warehouse to be distributed somewhere else. So actually finding an authentic signed copy is plausable (if he's know to do mass signings of guerilla signings); I just wanted to be dead sure before dancing around the house in joy! Thanks for your help with those web pages on his signature. Between those and peoples suggestions, I'm sure its authentic. Yay!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.