New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Eyre Affair :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Posts relating to TN-1 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Poll: How many of you have actually read "Jane Eyre"?
Posted by: Branfish (---.maths.bris.ac.uk)
Date: October 28, 2005 09:38AM

"Then, I've always been good at linking bits here and there, so it may just be my ability to fill in that makes that possible."

'Fill in'? I think a skill in paring down would be more useful. Filling stuff in only compounds the problem.

"We are born alone, and we die alone. In between, how about a drink?"
~ Mr. Nutty

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 11:53PM

~~'Fill in'? I think a skill in paring down would be more useful. Filling stuff in only compounds the problem.~~

It depends on which kind of book you're talking about. I stated that I'd read many books which I considered good but could still follow well when skipping to every tenth page. In that sense, 'filling in' would be needed, not 'paring down'. However, I suppose filling in could be the same as paring down, if you look on every exit as an entrance somewhere else. In a book with a plodding and lengthy plot you can understand that which you've not bothered to read just by assuming that it all goes along the same line until you get to the place where you pick up. You 'fill in' the nine pages of rubbish with that assumption, thus slimming the volume without losing anything.

Posted by: Branfish (---.cable.ubr07.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 29, 2005 12:41AM

Well, yes, but first you'd have to remove the nine pages, which would be time-consuming...

~ Mr. Nutty

Date: October 29, 2005 02:05AM

~~Well, yes, but first you'd have to remove the nine pages, which would be time-consuming...~~

Unless it's a hobby, in which case it'd be safe to assume that you're a connoisseur of boring activities and should therefore rather enjoy reading them after all. ::grin::

Posted by: Branfish (---.cable.ubr07.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:33AM

No, my hobby is taking the pages I've cut out of unneccessarily long books and sticking them back together to make new books. Three for the price of two!

~ Mr. Nutty

Date: October 29, 2005 07:42PM

~~No, my hobby is taking the pages I've cut out of unneccessarily long books and sticking them back together to make new books.~~

I think I've read a few of your creations. ::grin::

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2005 03:51AM

I have read Jane Eyre. I loved it. I would definately say it is one of my favorite books. It is what inspired me to first read the Eyre Affair. And I am glad I did. Now I am totally hooked on Jasper Fforde. And believe me, actually having read the literature they talk about in the books only makes them better!

Posted by: Autumn (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:12AM

I have read Jane Eyre, although it was a very long time ago. I think I was in 4th or 5th grade the first time I read it.

It is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, and certainly not desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off.

Posted by: Lovelornninja (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 07:35PM

Yep! Read it and to be honest I thought it was...o.k.
Read better."Wuthering Heights "better by her sis.

There is only one inborn error, that is the notion we exist in order to be happy.
This arises from constantly deluded hope and so also dissatisfaction.

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 09:25PM

I read Jane Eyre because I got TEA and I figured it would make more sense if I read the original first! It seems like TN would be really hard to read if you didn't recognize all the references.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: splat21 (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:24PM

I doubt if it would ruin it, because the books are enjoyable anyway but it certainly makes it a richer experience if you understand the references.

I've read it and enjoyed it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with either not having read it or not liking it.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 07:37PM

I've read Jane Eyre several times, though at first I had trouble getting past the first few chapters. Once I knew that it got better I was able to keep reading and find out that it is in fact a very good book.

Posted by: Anonymous User (69.85.235.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 02:38PM

I've read Jane Eyre, although it was a long time ago. I loved it; it's my thing. I love stuff from that time period as well. I recently took a class on Victorian literature...Lady Audley's Secret was a good read, too. Just a tip for those who like this kind of stuff.

Posted by: vampire (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 02:09AM

I've read it, and I loved it. . . Only it was a couple years ago, so I tried to read it over recently and I couldn't stand it! Only now I can't remember what I thought was so awful, although it wasn't long ago. . . hmm. . . Is a puzzlement. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You wants it? How Gollum-esque!

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: June 06, 2006 12:16AM

I hadn't even heard of it until TEA, so no I sure haven't (and to be honest I don't think it sounds terribly interesting anyway)

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: June 06, 2006 02:46AM

I first saw a production of the musical of Jane Eyre, and loved it so much I wanted to read the book. Well, I haven't really gotten around to finishing it (though it's good; I should get on that!) but in the mean time when I first heard the title "The Eyre Affair" my ears perked up very quickly…and the rest is history.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: June 06, 2006 05:33AM

Some books are funny like that... you like it but can't finish it. I too love books from that period and it's what attracted me to 'the eyre affair'.

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 07, 2006 03:37AM

Yeah, Great Expectations is like that for me... I'm going to give it another try soon, though...

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: June 10, 2006 07:04AM

I'm reading great expectations right now, its like to kill a mockingbird, you can not force your self to pick it up because you know really nothing is going to happen but once you do you can't put it down incase something does happen, you get attached to the characters. Great expectations is like that, not like its really all that interesting but I want to know how things turn out for Pip, its just one of those kind of books.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 14, 2006 02:31PM

It's funny that this post started a year ago and we're still replying to it! I read Jane Eyre in high school (a while ago) so I couldn't remember the fine details, but I knew that Jane going off with Rivers was NOT the right ending...then when the fire occurred it was like a "deja vu" moment - it all started coming back to me! I really want to re-read Jane Eyre now.
As for Great Expectations, I taught that book to high school freshmen and it was like pulling teeth! I love it, but it is somewhat tedious reading. For anyone who doesn't know about Dickens, his works were published serially in magazines, and the magazines paid him by the word. That's why he is so descriptive (euphemism for wordy!) and that's why some people find him hard to read - it takes a while! It is the same for many of the Victorian authors (George Eliot, for example - The Mill on the Floss is a great book, but slightly tedious). You will notice their styles are similar, and that's the reason - they made more money if they wrote more words!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.