New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Eyre Affair :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Posts relating to TN-1 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Free the Swindon One!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: March 16, 2007 10:15PM

I don't know whether anyone else has noticed this, but in Jeanette Winterson's Oranges are not the Only Fruit, the following passage appears. Jeanette's mother is speaking to her:

'... Remember Jane Eyre and St. John Rivers.' A farway look came into her eye.

I did remember, but what my mother didn't know was that I now knew she had rewritten the ending. Jane Eyre was her favourite non-bible book, and she read it to me over and over again, when I was very small. I couldn't read it, but I knew where the pages turned. A sort of nostalgic pilgrimage. I found out, that dreadful day in a back corner of the library, that Jane doesn't marry St John at all, that she goes back to Mr Rochester...'

There has clearly been a miscarriage of justice. Jeanette's mother was carrying out her nefarous deeds some time in the late sixties or early seventies. Thursday Next is therefore is NOT guilty of a fiction infraction - she has restored Charlotte Bronte's original ending. She must be freed from the gingham and The Faerie Queene immediately, and punishment meted out to the truly guilty....

Re: Free the Swindon One!
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 17, 2007 12:22PM

Welcome back quiris.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.