New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: clump, clump, clump ...
Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: October 31, 2008 12:13PM

I remember what they did last time that Flash Gordon got revised with contemporary production values way back in 1980, at least that had a Queen soundtrack and Brian Blessed. I can't comment on the 2007 version.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.range86-136.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 31, 2008 12:25PM

<detects sarcastic undertone>

<Holds up bin lid as shield>

Behold the Armor of Swoknir!

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 01, 2008 12:30PM

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but you need to use whatever weapons you can muster.

For my money Batman has only gone backwards since the TV series with Adam West - so much for contemporary production values. It's a case of substance over form.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 02, 2008 04:13PM

Are you sure that your local cinema isn't just making a mess of threading the film in the projector? That would explain them going backwards.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: November 03, 2008 09:05AM

Indeed. Or possibly you're looking right to left instead of left to right and completely confusing your brain.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 03, 2008 09:39AM

I've just come into this thread.

Did someone mention O Sam's bin lid?

I have a reprint copy of the original 'Flash Gordon' comic - it came out in the late 1960s/early 70s. It is a most refreshing read when one resets the mind to the 1920s when it was first issued.

Good stuff, with original storylines.

But since then movies are mostly made by formula. They make so many rehashes of past successes that they can't see an original idea if it hit them full in the face.

If they cut out all the hangers on that are attracted to the movie industry and just put the money into the production then they could afford to experiment. I watched the documentary about Melvin van Peebles and one of his movies was the trigger for Shaft and others of that ilk. van Peebles said that he wrote, financed, produced and directed the movie, and owned all the script, song and movie rights as no-one else would come in and help him. When it became a hit all the movie press started blowharding about his astuteness in owning all the rights he said that he laughed at them.

We need to set up a low budget (relatively speaking) organisation that will attempt new types of movies. George Miller did it with Babe but Babe 2 was interfered with by the studio systems. So wither 'Anonymous Films'?.

Could you imaginer 'Life of Brian' made by a studio?

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.